Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home - Should I Install SP3

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BWSue

BWSue

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:29 PM

Greetings

My problem is a bit different due to the fact that I am using an iMac computer. I have divided my hard drive using BootCamp. Half of my system in using a Mac OS and the other half has Windows XP Home OS.

My XP Home hard drive has 120 GB free space, and I have Service Pack 2 and all of it's updates to date. The next automatic update is of course, Service Pack 3. I tried the installation a few times, using tips I found
on this forum, however it simply will not install, giving me the following error.

Posted Image

I cannot receive any further updates, since I cannot update to SP3. I'm wondering if it's even necessary at all... should I continue or just turn off automatic updates and stay put? And, if I should continue, how can I get it installed?

Thanks.

Edited by BWSue, 24 June 2011 - 12:30 PM.

- BWSue

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

I suggest you create an image of your hard drive and then replace it with a larger drive. Restore the image and update to sp3

#3 BWSue

BWSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

Thank you, Allan for your suggestion.

However, I don't understand why I need a larger hard drive while I all ready have 120 GB free space. From the error, it seems it only requires 8 MB at the most. This is why I'm stumped.
- BWSue

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:30 PM

Sorry, I didn't take the time to completely read your post and misunderstood the question. My fault.

#5 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:03 AM

When you set-up the partition, which drive letter did you assign to Windows XP? The download for SP3 is attempting to install in C:\. Maybe it needs to be redirected to the different drive letter you used?

Allen, could that be the problem? Inquiring minds want to know. :-)

Rosie

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#6 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:57 AM

You can download and save SP3 and do a manual install and its a 316 MB download
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/confirmation.aspx?id=24

Edited by Ramchu, 25 June 2011 - 08:01 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

Well...your hard drive may have ample space...but the message addresses the partition space, not disk space.

If you post a screenshot from Disk Management, that should clear up my confusion.

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

FWIW: Any XP system that does not have SP3 installed...may be missing close to 200 critical updates (about 100 included in SP3, about 100 after SP3). Needless to say, that represents a poor system defense posture.

Louis

#8 BWSue

BWSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

Louis,

Here is the image you requested.

Posted Image

I assumed it's best to have the update of course, but sometimes it seems things are better before you update. *lol*
Anyway, this I hope, makes things more clear.

Thank you all for your help in this matter.

P.S. I also tried downloading and manually installing. Unfortunately, same error. :(

Edited by BWSue, 30 June 2011 - 03:51 PM.

- BWSue

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,116 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

Looking at disk management...that error message you receive makes no sense at all.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956894

I would have to question the operational status of the hard drive...or something quirky like the CMOS battery...or the RAM.

Ooops...take a look, http://www.windowsreference.com/general/error-there-is-not-enough-disk-space-when-installing-sp3/

Louis

#10 BWSue

BWSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:20 PM

Ah ha! Thank you Louis! I'll post here to let you know how it goes.

*Edits* Posted Image Rock-N-Roll! I now have Service Pack 3 installed and automatic updates ran and I have to restart now.

I can't thank you enough for your help. Top Notch!

Edited by BWSue, 30 June 2011 - 05:06 PM.

- BWSue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users