Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Opinion on Buying an External Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

Buy a hard drive and then buy a case for an external drive.

My reason for saying this:

I bought a Seagate external drive several years ago. A few months ago, the USB port on the external drive (the port that you plug the B end of the USB cable), it broke off of the chip board in the HD case.

My soldering attempt failed, so I decided to buy a new external HD case. This is where the trouble came in.

I don't know if other brands of external drive cases are constructed like mine was, but it was a serious pain in the butt to get my drive out of the case! It took me about an hour to pry casing apart and then take out my drive. I nervous the whole time about damaging the HD. I actually cut myself twice on the aluminum and plastic casing. I also was sweating!! No kidding. Using a lot of strength to get that thing off and being gentle at the same time was not easy!

I decided right then and there that when I need another external drive, I would buy a HD and then a case for the drive.

I got every off okay. Got to all my important files and can start backing up my files again.
Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

it'll cost you more going that way. For example Newegg had 3Tb Hitachi usb2 externals for sale lower than a bare 3Tb drive then add in the external case and it's even more expensive. If the Hitachi case goes bad I'll just pull the drive.

No way to tell if the external case you buy will be more durable. Many of the brand name cases open easily. The Hitachi for example pry off the end with the Hitachi name careful two screws, two more on the other end case off then more screws securing the drive to the mounting tray.

The last one I bought had a rattle so before I sent it back or powered it up I popped off the end hoping a loose screw would fall out, it turned out that the rattle was the LED that lights up the Hitachi name.

I just ordered another yesterday along with a couple of other things. $139 before Promo $20 off. $104.99 96GB Kingston SSD after MIR.

If you buy many parts well worth getting on their daily specials mailing list. I've seen three packs of Norton A/V really cheap on the Daily Shell shocker previews for example.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users