Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

audio device on high definition audio bus driver

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kanifala

kanifala

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:22 AM

I just had to reinstall my operating system which is Windows XP service pack3. I have a Dell XPS630i desktop computer. I have the drivers and utilities cd that originally came with the computer. On the disk are instructions on the order of driver installations. I installed everything as it said but when I go into device manager I see the yellow question mark next to audio device on high definition audio bus. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the audio drivers, I've found the driver on Realtek's website and downloaded it but still no sound. I tried going into the BIOS and disabling the onboard audio. When I did this the audio device was no longer showing in device manager but the sound wasn't working. The Windows software wizard also couldn't find anything for it either. Audio type is HDA 7.1 channel. The driver is Realtek audio ALC888 HD audio. The driver on the dell website is the same one I have with the disk. If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:13 AM

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/xps630i/en/OM/HTML/software.htm#wp1111996

You followed the above Dell instructions?

See Sound and Speaker Problems at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/xps630i/en/OM/HTML/trouble.htm#wp1092170 .

FWIW: System Drivers at http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=XPS_630I&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

FWIW: Disabling onboard sound...is not what you want to do, unless you are using a physical soundcard in lieu of the sound capability provided on the motherboard. You have onboard sound.

Device Manager only reflects the one problem you mentioned?

Louis

#3 kanifala

kanifala
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

Hi Louis, thanks for replying. Yes I did try all of the things described on the dell troubleshooting website. The audio drivers on their site are also the same that i got with my computer. Yes, the only problem showing is audio device on high def audio bus. Everything else is fine

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:27 PM

Sorry...I'm out of ideas on this one :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users