Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tough to get rid of

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tentstake

tentstake

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:23 AM

I'm working on a client's laptop that is running Windows 7 9(64 bit) and it is giving me the fits. The laptop is able to connect to windows update and update and IE is allowing me to surf. All this via the wireless. When I connect the ethernet cable, the laptop sees the connection for a moment and then drops the connection. I have tried to install and update various malware/spyware removal programs, but i'm not able to update them though i do have a wireless connection on the network.

I tried a few online scanners with no luck. the only one that was able to work was Microsoft's safety scanner. I was also able to download A-squared emergency kit and run that. Although the laptop would not allow me to update it, I put it on a thumb drive and updated it on another pc and then copied it over to the laptop and run it then. It found a few minor trogans, but nothing too serious that i have come across in the years.

I have taking the hard drive out and installed on another machine and scanned with Norton 360, Avast, Super AntiSpyware, MalwareBytes, and Spybot. Those only found one or two items, and when the drive is placed back in the machine it is still doing the same thing. Nothing is able to update while the comp is running.

I have also tried the Bootable Bit Defender and it keeps shutting down when it tries to update via the wireless.

Any ideas?

thanks,
tent

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users