Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optical Drives For Emachines Have Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 megalo

megalo

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:52 PM

Its an Emachines T2895, 2.8 celeron processor, 120 gb Ultra DMA hdd,Ati 9250 pci video card (sucks), 1 gb of new ram (still have the old 512 stick). Oddly enough this happened the day I got my Ipod so i couldn't put any music on my pc :thumbsup: . The drives are the JLMS XJ-HD166S and the LITE-ON LTR-48327S. In the device manager there are little exclamation marks next to both of the drives and in both of their properties i get this message: Driver may be corrupted or missing.(code 39). It has now been like this for a month and needs to be fixed for the upcoming tax season. I bring this up now because of the other emachines thread about the missing hard drive. Can i fix my problem the same way he fixed his, by doing a system restore and by doing a system restore do you loose all of stuff that you've put on it, or is there a better way? Can anybody help me. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 12:20 PM

The easiest solution would be to reinstall the chipset drivers for the eMachines model that you own. I'm not familiar with the process with these systems, so I can't offer any help there.

You can also try the RollBack Driver function on the Driver tab for that device in Device Manager.

I, personally, am very wary of System Restore and don't like to use it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:46 PM

UPDATE:

My mother took the pc up to a hometown computer repair shop called A&B Computers. We have brought that same pc to him a couple of times in the past, mostly for viruses that norton couldn't get off. Now when she brought the pc to a&b, They said that this event or failure was almost scripted in that either the software preinstalled on the pc or the manufacturers themselved planned for this too happen so that my mom and other customers would have to buy a new pc. But this doesn't make much sense because if they did go out and buy another pc it might not be from them (emachines) thus they wouldn't be making any more profit or sales.

What I'm asking for is if you know if this has been known to happen before or is he just bsing his way out of not know how to fix the problem?

Thanks for all the help everyone.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:12 PM

I've heard of it with cars, but never w/ computers. Usually computer manuacturers want their stuff to last as long as possible.
Is there a possiblity that you can get the drivers from Lite-On's website?
Usually when people Say "The manufacturer designed this product to fail" what their really saying is "I have no idea why it failed or how to fix it except to replace it." Mechanics refer to people like this as "part changers". Now I'm not doubing his skill (or honesty) but lines like that just scream to me as "Buy one of the computers I build"
Pure BS anything can be fixed its just a matter of how good you are.

Posted Image

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:24 PM

Sounds like Black Helicopter stuff to me. That would be extremely chancey for a computer maker to do. Not if but when they were caught they would be out of busniess.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 megalo

megalo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:07 PM

Heres an update: The guy at A&B Computers that made the original statement, thought about the problem and was able to find somewhat of a solution. But, in the device manager, it displays only one drive (not two) and the drive name and info is nothing like it used to be (almost like he installed a different drive). This might have been a problem because the drive that works is a dvd-rom drive, but for some peculiar reason it has been able to place cd's since the day we've had the pc. So, now we're pretty much okay except that the other drive which was just a cd drive to begin with doesn't work. I just wanted to fill you in on whats happened within the past 6 weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users