Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files In My Documents Folder Are Being Removed Automatically

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 manmissingfiles

manmissingfiles

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:58 AM

Tonight I noticed a folder in My Documents is missing files. I needed to access a file that began with the letter T and for some reason the folder only went up to the letter M. A few minutes later I added some more files to this folder and where the folder held files to Ms it decreased to Mo. Opps. At this rate I will only have files starting with the letter A! This folder currently has 4340 files with a size on disk of 408 MB. Does anyone have an idea what is happening or how I can find out?

C-drive says it has 176 GB of 221 GB free.

HP Recovery(D) has 2.02 GB of 11.7 GB free.

Currently My Documents contains 1917 folders 13960 files on 6.34 GB Size On Disk

HP Pavillion dv6700 Notebook PC
Intel® Core ™2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHZ
Memory RAM 3.0 GB
32 bit
Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 2

Note: I back up my files on flash drives. I do not use a system based back-up. So, while I can load files back into my folders it concerns me that they will simply vanish at some point.

Additional Information. Yesterday I ran Spybot and Malwarebytes and all the Norton features. There were no infected files reported! Nontheless, it is still running slower than normal. Last night I uninstalled Internet Explorer 9 and reinstalled Internet Explorer 8. I did this because my computer recently began suffering numerous "not responding" messages when using outlook, web search and my documents. It is taking an extened period of time to load folders that used to just pop up ready to access. I have a number of picture files and I noticed that Windows Photo Gallery has become slow to load and shuffle when it is accessing newer multi-MB pictures yet still moves quickly when accessing older KB sized digital pictures. Also, I was no longer able to make PDF files from web pages using IE 9. Surprise cannot do it in IE 8 now. I have run defrag and disk cleanup a number of times.

Look forward to any suggestions you might have to address these issues. Unfortunately, I am not smarter than a 5th grader when it comes to this stuff so in order for me to understand your comments they will have to be layman basic and very specific if any instructions are involved. You cannot count on me knowing how to do anything other than unpluging the damn thing when I am not using it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

I would try running the chkdsk /r command.

I would also use a program like WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2248_4-10614593.html to take a look at my files/folders after the chkdsk /r completes.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users