Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual Private Network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 infected mqan

infected mqan

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:49 PM

Hello all,
Was just reading some random stuff on the web, and I came across an interesting read on VPNs(Virtual Private Networks). It has now come to my attention that using the web from my home, or anywhere else for that matter, it isn't necessarily 'secure'. From what I understand, using a VPN is a more secure way to surf the web.(login to email,facebook, any site that requires a login). I was just wondering if someone could help further explain: how, when, and why to use one. I have done some research on my own, but I keep finding generic definitions of a VPN, and can't really find answers to what i'm looking for. If anybody is knowledgeable in VPNs, I would really appreciate some help on the subject.

Kindest Regards,
Mitch

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:27 PM

Here is my interpretation, but I may very well not be 100% correct. Web surfing from your home should be secure assuming:
1) The computer you are on has no virus, malware, or other program which is sending or redirecting your information elsewhere.
2) No one has hacked your network or your ISP's network.
3) No one has hacked the website you are visiting.

But, a vpn can improve surfing security is when you are accessing the internet from a public network (airport, coffee shop, etc.) When I accessed my financial accounts while vacationing out of the country, I VPN back to my house network, and access the internet through my home internet connection. This way instead of my passwords and login's being sent through the the public wifi router, all the information is first wrapped in a vpn tunnel so to speak and the requests go through that tunnel to my house, and then out to the internet and back. In fact I actually remote controlled the desk computer at my house so that the only data crossing the public wifi network at the hotel was just remote control session commands, not my actual account sites or passwords.

Hope this is accurate and helpful
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#3 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •