Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ESET Scan Issues

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ZachD

ZachD

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

I recently downloaded the free trial for ESET Smart Security 4 to try it out, and for some reason, scans dont seem to be working properly. First off, they take forever. I let one run for 6 hours and it was at about 43%. Also, when I read the log, it lists failed attempts to open files or to extract. I was hoping someone knows what might be causing this problem and could help me out. I'm going to include a part of one of the scan logs as well for reference.

Thank you,

Zach

Scan Log
Version of virus signature database: 6227 (20110621)
Date: 6/21/2011 Time: 6:39:13 PM
Scanned disks, folders and files: Operating memory;C:\Boot sector;C:\;D:\Boot sector;D:\;E:\Boot sector;E:\
C:\hiberfil.sys - error opening [4]
C:\pagefile.sys - error opening [4]
C:\12116c1e6a6500d4c400f4\$shtdwn$.req - error opening [4]
C:\12116c1e6a6500d4c400f4\mrt.exe._p - error opening [4]
C:\12116c1e6a6500d4c400f4\mrtstub.exe - error opening [4]
C:\cb1adca8e19af86b6c862927\netfx_Core.mzz CAB _001_dfshim_dll_x86 - decompression could not complete (possible reasons: insufficient free memory or disk space, or a problem with temp folders)
C:\cb1adca8e19af86b6c862927\netfx_Core.mzz CAB _003_mscoree_dll_x86 - decompression could not complete (possible reasons: insufficient free memory or disk space, or a problem with temp folders)
C:\cb1adca8e19af86b6c862927\netfx_Core.mzz CAB _007_PresentationHost_X86.exe - decompression could not complete (possible reasons: insufficient free memory or disk space, or a problem with temp folders)
C:\cb1adca8e19af86b6c862927\netfx_Core.mzz CAB _010_PresentationHostProxy_X86.dll - decompression could not complete (possible reasons: insufficient free memory or disk space, or a problem with temp folders)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:04 AM

Does your system meet all of the requirements? Particularly the Memory commit charge: 80 MB

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:34 AM

The speed and ability to complete an anti-virus or anti-malware scan depends on a variety of factors.
  • The program itself and how its scanning engine is designed to scan: using a signature database vs heuristic scanning or a combination of both.
  • Options to scan for spyware, adware, riskware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPS).
  • Options to scan memory, boot sectors, registry and alternate data streams (ADS).
  • Type of scan performed: Deep, Quick or Custom scanning.
  • What action has to be performed when malware is detected.
  • A computer's hard drive size.
  • Disk used capacity (number of files to include temporary files) that have to be scanned.
  • Types of files (.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, archived, compressed, packed, email, etc) that are scanned.
  • Whether external drives are included in the scan.
  • Competition for and utilization of system resources by the scanner.
  • Other running processes and programs in the background.
  • Interference from malware.
  • Interference from the user.
-- Using two security scanning engines at the same time can cause each to interfere with the other, cause systems hangs, false detections, unreliable results and other unpredictable behavior.

-- If the screensaver, hibernation or Sleep Mode are not turned off before scanning, those features can sometimes have odd effects when attempting to resume normal mode.

Further, it is not unusual for an anti-virus or anti-malware scanner to be suspicious of compressed, archived, .cab, .rar, .jar, .iso, and packed files because they have difficulty reading what is inside them. These kind of files often trigger alerts by security software using heuristic detection because they are resistant to scanning (difficult to read). This resistance may also result in some scanners to stall (hang) on these particular types of files or just ignore (skip) them. Certain files in the System Volume Information Folder like the Tracking.log (created by the Distributed Link Tracking Service to store maintenance information) have also been reported as a source causing some scanners to hang.

To speed up your scans, uninstall unnecessary programs, clean out the temporary files, temporarily disable any other real-time protection tools, close all open programs and do not use the computer during the scan. If the scan still seems slow or hangs, then try performing the scan in "safe mode".

Also files that are showing in a security scan log as being locked, skipped or unable to scan are not usually indicative of a malware infection.

"Object is locked skipped", "Access Denied", "Some files could not be scanned", "Error Opening","Password Protected" or "Encrypted" notations in an anti-virus/anti-malware scan are not uncommon. Some files and services are locked by the operating system or running programs during use for protection, so scanners cannot access them. Other legitimate files, especially those used by security programs, may be obfuscated, encrypted or password protected in order to conceal itself so they do not allow access. When the scanner finds such an object, it makes a note and then just skips to the next one. That explains why it may show with such notations but no action taken in certain anti-virus or anti-malware log scan reports. These are normal when using many security scanning programs so there is seldom a need for concern.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 ZachD

ZachD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 02:08 PM

I'll give the cleaning temporary files out a try. I do have sufficient memory Tulsa. I have it set on "smart scan" mode to scan my (C:) drive, should I be more specific with what I have it scan? I will also check and see what the priority setting is for the scan.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,733 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:26 PM

You can also perform a Custom Scan of critical folders.

#6 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

Zach, this is one for Quietman or someone with more experience than I have. I'm not at all familiar with Eset scans. Did you thoroughly read the post from Quietman?

The only other thing I would suggest is to be sure you disable your current anti-virus program prior to running the Eset scan. As Quietman stated, running two AV's can cause conflicts.

I'm bowing out of this thread. Good luck.

Rosie

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#7 ZachD

ZachD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

Thank you for trying to help Rose.

As for disabling another AV, this is the only one currently running on my computer, so it shouldnt have an issue.

Quietman, I altered the settings for the scan so that it skips the folder containing the files for the game World of Tanks. For some reason, those files always causes the scan to halt. Hopefully this will help, because I've thus far been unable to actually complete an entire scan because of this issue.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,733 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:43 PM

You could also try Setup > Advanced Setup > Setup > Exclusions and click the Add button for those files you want Eset to ignore.

#9 ZachD

ZachD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

I will give that a try as well and see if it improves things. Is there a high risk of a virus going undetected if I exclude files such as the ones in that game?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,733 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:34 PM

You should only exclude files you know are legitimate. If you're not sure, then you can always get a second opinion by submitting them to one of the following online services that analyzes suspicious files:In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis. If you get a message saying "File has already been analyzed", click Reanalyze file now.

For submission of file samples or possible false positives to a specific anti-virus vendor, please refer to How to submit virus or potential false positive samples to ESET's labs. Once a file is received, a technician can examine it in more detail and provide a report letting you know the results. You should also contact and advise the program vendor that there is an issue with their file(s) and you anti-virus. In many cases they will work with the anti-virus techs in an attempt to resolve the problem.

#11 ZachD

ZachD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:50 PM

Awesome, I think this answers all of my questions. I will definitely be getting in touch with ESET and see if they have any further solutions. Thank you for your help!

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,733 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:54 PM

You're welcome.