Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista reboot loop w/ BSOD after virus removal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Computer Pros

Computer Pros

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:34 PM

I have a Dell laptop that had the Vista Home Security 2012 infection .. followed the directions here carefully and removed the infection OK .. now the system goes into a loop where it reboots after showing the windows logon screen about 1-2 seconds .. then shows BSOD for 1 second .. then reboots again.

System boots up into Safe Mode OK but cannot fix the normal windows logon error.

I've run the registry fix for this virus, RKILL, IE fix, Malwarebytes removed the infection, cleaned temp files, ran ComboFix, cannot find any restore points in safe mode .. I'm just out of ideas!

Can someone please help with this annoying problem?

Thanks,
Shane

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:51 AM

<<I've run the registry fix for this virus,...>>

What registry fix might that be?

System manufacturer and model?

What is the detail for the BSOD that is reflected?

Louis

#3 Computer Pros

Computer Pros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:35 PM

registry fix was obtained from bleepingcomputer.com website .. called FixNCR.reg
Also ran Rdill adn Iexplore.exe to fix other items .. then ran MalwareBytes to remove infections.
System is a Dell Inspiron 1420 about 4 yrs old.
Internal diagnostics show HDD error code 0148 for IDE error so it may have physical problems too.
Current problem is that it's in a LOOP where the system shows the logon screen about 5 seconds, then BSOD about 1 second, then reboots again.

BSOD shows NO detail .. just memory dump and hex address. No files listed on BSOD.

Thanks,
Shane

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:59 PM

Looking at the Dell documentation, http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&docid=52176&doclang=en&l=en&s=gen&cs= , I would suggest that your hard drive is failing.

I would contact Dell and let them know about that error code and get a definitive confirmation of what that code means.

If you have a hard drive problem, there's nothing to be gained by worrying about BSODS or other problems that may be the result of the hard drive...until said drive is either replaced or given a clean bill of health.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users