Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 5.0

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

Since I downloaded FF 5.0 I can't log into any of my usual web sites that require a name+password. I had to go to IE to ger here for help.
Is there any way I can get the previous version of FF back? I realize I will have to do an uninstall most likely. I am so very unfamiliar with IE as FF has been good to me for a long time until a couple of days ago.
Is there a fix for this?
Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:05 PM

Mozilla's instructions are HERE along with a link to the old versions! What happens when you try to enter a password?
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:45 PM

I tried to follow the instructions from the link, but as I'm running KIS 2011, I don't find the areas the link speaks of. They were all in the older version. When I did click on firewall, Firefox is listed as trusted.

When I get to the point where I can enter a password using FF, the site either tells me name or password is incorrect or it just redirects me to sign in again.

I'm really stuck on this one. One of the web sites I tried online, I finally called customer service. I was told after a lenghty time on hold, that the problem was not on their end. A few people there tried logging in to their accounts with no problem.

I tried logging into a few different accounts/web sites with no luck using FF.

Please help me get this resolved?
Thank you
honu1

#4 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• 2,053 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:08 PM

I'm not sure why Firefox won't allow you to enter your credentials, but I would try updating/reinstalling Java as a shot in the dark, as well as disabling all of your add-ons. If disabling your add-ons works, start re-enabling them one by one to find the culprit.

Otherwise you can download Firefox 3.6.18 from the page I mentioned before, or you can try Firefox 4.0 directly from this link, I went to download 5.0 and just changed the values in the address bar.

Hopefully that helps!
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Proud member of UNITE

#5 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:25 PM

I did a little more checking + found that I can use FF to to get on the web, but not if it involves signing in to sites requiring a user name + ID. Does this shed a bit more light for you?

I'm turning in for the night now,so any "fix" will have to wait 'til tomorrow. I appreciate any help you give!
honu1

#6 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:26 PM

Wait.... what did you mean by changing the 'values"???? I don't know all this techy stuff,sorry.

#7 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:40 PM

Okay, I downloaded the FF 4.0, reboot, checked my installed programs+only saw FF 4.0 listed instead of FF 5.0.
I still cannot get into sites that require a user+ID in FF.

Hopefully tomorrow someone here will have a solution?
Please?????
Thank you
honu1

#8 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• 2,053 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:29 AM

Sorry about that, the "values" reference was just to where the link came from, but it sounds like it worked for you since you were able to install FF 4.0. Since downgrading the browser didn't help, let's try reinstalling Java. Click the "Free Java Download" button and follow the instructions for installation. I've had this fix a few random issues with browsers before so I think it's definitely worth a try.

If that doesn't work, I would try loading Firefox in Safe Mode, I've included the instructions below:

1) Open Firefox, click on Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled... then click Restart
2) When the safe mode warning appears, select Continue in Safe Mode
3) Try to log into any websites giving you trouble

This mode temporarily disables all of your Add-ons and Extensions, as well as any custom toolbar settings. If you are able to log into websites in Safe Mode, we will just need to narrow down which Add-on, extension, or toolbar is causing the issue.
Proud member of UNITE

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:38 AM

What happens when you go to Tools/Options/Security? In the lower part of the box, is "remember passwords for sites" checked? What do you see when you click on the box "Saved Passwords?"
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:51 PM

What happens when you go to Tools/Options/Security? In the lower part of the box, is "remember passwords for sites" checked? What do you see when you click on the box "Saved Passwords?"

No checkmark showing for remember password for sites.
Blank box when I click on saved passwords.

#11 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

Sorry about that, the "values" reference was just to where the link came from, but it sounds like it worked for you since you were able to install FF 4.0. Since downgrading the browser didn't help, let's try reinstalling Java. Click the "Free Java Download" button and follow the instructions for installation. I've had this fix a few random issues with browsers before so I think it's definitely worth a try.

If that doesn't work, I would try loading Firefox in Safe Mode, I've included the instructions below:

1) Open Firefox, click on Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled... then click Restart
2) When the safe mode warning appears, select Continue in Safe Mode
3) Try to log into any websites giving you trouble

This mode temporarily disables all of your Add-ons and Extensions, as well as any custom toolbar settings. If you are able to log into websites in Safe Mode, we will just need to narrow down which Add-on, extension, or toolbar is causing the issue.

I installed Java thru your link. No help in signing on to sites.
Even trying FF in safe mode doesn't allow me to sign on any sites-yikes!
When I was clicking on the 'about' FF tab,it started a download. I now am back to version 5.0 instead of 4.0.
I'm thinking my computer is posessed!-lol!
Really now, would I be better off to run Opera then deal with the strangeness of FF?

I sure hope we can get this sorted out soon.
Thanks
honu1

#12 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:12 PM

The only other thing I can think of is I ran Secunia PSI a few days ago. One of the items that showed up as 'insecure' was FF 5.0. Without reading more details, I just clicked on repair the problem. The Secunia report shows that FF was 'patched', but I don't know how to undo the patch+see if that makes a difference.

I'm praying that someone here will help me get FF back to where I can log in to all my sites.

honu1

#13 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:22 AM

Still having the same problem with FF. Until this issue is resolved can someone please direct me as how to move all my bookmarks from FF to IE,please? It would make things faster+simpler for me to have bookmarks in both places.
Thank you
honu1

#14 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:03 PM

Okay, maybe I should try t ogo to 'my computer' +uninstall FF 5.0, then hopefully, I can find FF 5.0 using IE? Is there a way I can save everything I have in my bookmarks to my desktop,including sub folders, so I can add those back to the re-install? When I copied/imported bookmarks from FF to IE, not all the files/folders came over. I tried to copy/paste the missing ones, but can't seem to figure it out. IE is foreign to me,But I'm having to use it for now for sites such as this.
Please advise
Thanks
honu1

#15 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:42 PM

I uninstalled FF 5.0,did reboot,installed FF 5.0 again,reboot. No bookmarks lost,good thing. I have them saved to my desktop anyway.
Still cannot acesss sites requiring name+password.

Please help me sort this out
Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users