Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mbam stopped working?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 manmountain8

manmountain8

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:41 PM

I ran a Malewarebytes full scan today and after downloading an update it just stopped after 5-10 seconds in midscan. Trying again revelead the error message "Windows can not access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the file." A restart will alow me to open Mbam again but it just repeats the same process over again. I have tried uninstalling Mbam and reinstalling without success.

I appeared to have been infected by a fake system restore virus or something similar, which is why I ran the scan in the first place. I normally have no problem getting rid of these. I just run Rkill, then MBam, then a hosts-permission.bat file. Eventhough Mbam did not succesfully scan or delete anything, the virus appears to be gone or in hibernation. Aside from Mbam not working there is just some slight slowdown , but nothing else going on.

Anyone know what's going on? Thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:49 PM

Try uninstalling, then reinstalling Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as follows:

For Windows XP:
  • First uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware using Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.
  • Restart the computer.
  • Download the mbam-clean.exe (MBAM Cleanup Utility) and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double-click on mbamclean.exe to start the utility.
  • When the cleanup routine has finished, it will ask to reboot your computer. Please allow the reboot.
  • After the computer restarts, download and install the latest version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.51) from here.
For Windows Vista and Windows 7:
  • First uninstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware using Programs and Features in Control Panel.
  • Restart the computer.
  • Download the mbam-clean.exe (MBAM Cleanup Utility) and save it to your Desktop.
  • Right-click on mbamclean.exe and select Run As Administrator to start the utility.
  • When the cleanup routine has finished, it will ask to reboot your computer. Please allow the reboot.
  • After the computer restarts, download and install the latest version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.51) from here.
-- If using the Pro version, you will need to reactivate the program using the license key you were sent by email. If using the free version, then just ignore that part.
-- Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab and check for updates if not done during installation.
-- Restart the computer again and verify that Malwarebytes is showing in the task tray if using the Pro version. Then setup any file exclusions that may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 manmountain8

manmountain8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:21 PM

I followed your instructions and the new Mbam does the same thing. It stops the scan after a few seconds and trying again gives me the same error message. It seems like someone has written a virus that over rides Mbam. Could it have something to do with permissions or similar settings? Any other ideas?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:58 AM

Then maybe the infection has not been completely removed.

Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools to keep them from running properly. If that's the case, please refer to the suggestions provided in For those having trouble running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for using RKill by Grinler or downloading a renamed version of mbam.exe. Important: Do not reboot your computer until after performing a scan with Malwarebyes'. A scan must be completed immediately after running RKill..
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users