Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 9 will not reinstall

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

I removed Internet Explorer 9 after having some problems with it here on this 64 bit machine. Now Firefox has upgraded to version 5 and is no longer compatible with my Dishnetwork Slingplayer. This means I can't watch my Dish programming on the road.

Anyway if I try to reload IE9 it says it can't install because a newer version is already loaded. It does not appear on the program list under "add or remove programs"!

Any ideas anyone?

Soap :crazy:
UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

Why don't you just downgrade to Firefox 3 or 4?

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:42 PM

Here is a microsoft support document that appears to address your specific issue.

If it continues to give you the issue concerning a newer version being installed, you can attempt to remove it through "Uninstall an update"

Start > type in "Programs and Features" in the search box > click "View installed programs" > click "Uninstall an update" > uninstall Internet Explorer

Hope this helps! :thumbup2:

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 23 June 2011 - 02:45 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

It does not appear on the program list under "add or remove programs"!

I believe it's listed as an update rather than an application, did you check under "View Installed Updates" when you were in Programs and Features? If you remove it from here your system should revert to IE8, and you should be able to reinstall from there. Or try Allan's suggestion and just downgrade Firefox!

edit: typed too slow... but one of these answers will help!

Edited by whoabuddy, 23 June 2011 - 02:48 PM.

Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici (VVVVV)
Excellent Security Advice
Proud member of UNITE

#5 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

I looked at the page refered to on the first response. I don't see a title about IE9. I also tried looking at the updates rather than the installed programs. IE9 does not appear there either. If I could find IE9 on the computer I would just remove it and reinstall it.

Anyway I did revert to the earlier version of Firefox but it is still a mystery as to where the system sees the IE9 installation that prevents me from removing and reinstalling or reactivating/re enable it. I can't find it.

Soap
UFO pilot

#6 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:54 PM

If I put the Win 7 install disk in the drive can I "repair" IE?
UFO pilot

#7 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• 2,053 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:19 PM

The link from Alpha had an extra http:// in it, here is the Microsoft support article he was originally directing you to.

Just to confirm, you didn't see an entry for "Windows Internet Explorer 9" on the installed updates list? Based on the articles I believe there will have to be an entry for one of the IE versions on this list, but I'm not 100% sure, I know it took me a few double-takes on the uninstalls I've had to do with all of the updates.
Meditate. Elevate. Appreciate. | "Life is a journey, love is the destination, happiness is the path!"
If I am helping you and have not responded within 48 hours, please send me a PM.
Proud member of UNITE

#8 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:18 PM

OK, I found and removed it. Lets see if I can reinstall now!

Thanks. :thumbsup:
UFO pilot

#9 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:32 PM

Thanks everyone. I got it. It wasn't easy. I had to remove and reinstall several updates in order to make the IE9 install work. Then I , after several failed installs, decided to restart the pc and try again. It took doing that twice and starting from Windows Update the second time and downloading more updates and then reinstalling IE9 to get it to load. Oh yea after another restart.

My 32 bit machines run better. Maybe I'll reload this 64 bit machine with the 32 bit OS. Annoying!!!!!

Now, even with IE9 my Dishnetwork Slingplayer will not load and work. Slingbox software problem I assume. It wasn't a matter of browser after all!

I love computers! I love computers! I love computers!

Soap :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
UFO pilot

#10 whoabuddy

whoabuddy

Bleepin' Verbose

• 2,053 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

Honestly I've been seeing random issues with IE9 that don't make sense to me, one of which was a user with a webmail account that had links across the top - except he couldn't click them. Everything else on the page worked, reading e-mails, clicking "Inbox" on the left, it was just this one specific area. It showed up fine in Firefox and worked when we went back to IE8, but it was definitely odd.

I would downgrade Internet Explorer or Firefox at this point, and here is a download link for Firefox 4. Since Internet Explorer is installed as a Windows update, I would restart after any changes you make on that list , it usually wants to go through additional steps before Windows loads. As for Firefox, I believe a downgrade is as simple as running the installer according to Mozilla's support page.

Either way, best of luck!! :thumbsup:
Proud member of UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users