Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 infected mqan

infected mqan

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:17 PM

Hello all,
Basically, I just changed the Power Supply on my PC. And upon boot, I was greeted to: "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk And Press Enter"

This is my first time changing the PSU, so I don't know if I did it correctly. Is it possible that I didn't plug in everything inside the pc? I only plugged in like two or three cords.

Also, does it matter the specs of the PSU, I had two somewhat old PCs, one of them died, so I just swapped them.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,
Mitch

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:22 PM

Check to make sure the hd cables to the hd are firmly seated (at both ends).

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:23 PM

Your boot options...may have changed when you disconnected the old PSU, thereby changing the boot order.

If it's telling you to insert System Disk, that would possibly mean that it's trying to boot from optical drive.

I would enter the BIOS and check the boot order...also noting if the current hard drive and optical drive are properly reflected. If not, change the boot order to boot from the detected hard drive and then save the changes by hitting F10.

If the hard drive is not detected at a;;...let us know.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2011 - 01:25 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:32 PM

That would only happen if the mobo battery is bad - otherwise there would be a problem any time the power cord is unplugged. Having said that, if it turns out hamluis' suggestion is correct you should replace the battery on the motherboard.

#5 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:37 PM

Check to make sure the hd cables to the hd are firmly seated (at both ends).

I just unplugged everything, and plugged it back in, re assuring that everything is plugged in firmly. But still same problem

I would enter the BIOS and check the boot order...also noting if the current hard drive and optical drive are properly reflected. If not, change the boot order to boot from the detected hard drive and then save the changes by hitting F10.

Okay I just entered the Boot Menu. And I am a little confused as to what I am trying to do here.
Once I entered boot menu this is what I see:

[Boot Menu]
==Select a boot first device==

CD-ROM Group (This is highlighted)
-1st Master: Lite-ON DVDRW SHW-160h6S

Sorry, am a bit confused here.

Regards,
Mitch

#6 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

I just realized I booted into the wrong thing. I am now in BIOS and in Boot section.

Once I move over to the Boot section, I see:

Boot-time Diagnostic Screen [ Disabled ]
Boot Device Priority

-I moved to [Boot Device Priority] and I see the following screen:

1st Boot Device [Floppy Group]
2nd Boot Device [Cd-Rom Group]
3rd Boot Device [HDD Group ]
4th Boot Device [Network Boot Group]

-> Floppy Group Boot Priority [ Not Installed ]
-> CD-ROM Group Boot Priority [ LITE-ON DVDRW ]
-> GDD Group Boot Priority [ Not Installed ]
-> Network Group Boot Priority [ Not Installed]

I aplogize for any inconvenience, this is all new to me.

Regards,
Mitch

Edited by infected mqan, 23 June 2011 - 01:44 PM.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

Well, unless there is a non-bootable cd in the drive you should be fine, but just to rule out any possibilities do as hamluis suggested and move the hdd to the top of the boot device priority list. Then save and exit.

#8 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:48 PM

Well, unless there is a non-bootable cd in the drive you should be fine, but just to rule out any possibilities do as hamluis suggested and move the hdd to the top of the boot device priority list. Then save and exit.

Nothing is in my CD-Rom, and if I remember correctly, the CDRom isn't working on this PC.
I did as instructed and changed the 1st boot device to HDD, still have the same problem. :(

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

Okay. Well very simply the message you are getting means the system doesn't see an operating system at boot. This can be because the system doesn't see the hd at all or the hd boot sector is corrupt. Based on the circumstances here it's most likely the first case - for some reason the system isn't finding the hd. I have to go back to the connections. If all you did was change the power supply I would ask you to recheck the connections one more time. Make sure the hd is connected to the power supply and to the ide or sata cable firmly. You can also try replacing the mobo battery just to rule that out too. Other than that, I'm not sure where else to go - assuming the hd is the same one you started with before changing the ps.

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

Double check to make sure that you have the data and power cable securely connected to the hard drive and motherboard. I think one is not connected or is loose.

Do you hear the hard drive spin up when you turn the system on?
If you do not it isnt getting power.

The BIOS info that you provided doesnt show us if the system sees the hard drive.
If the BIOS doesnt see the drive its probably not connected properly.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#11 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.
The PC i'm trying to get the PSU working on is a: HP a1310n

The BIOS info that you provided doesnt show us if the system sees the hard drive.
If the BIOS doesnt see the drive its probably not connected properly.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I just don't understand.. I have tried re-plugging them in(firmly), about 10 times if not more.

Do you hear the hard drive spin up when you turn the system on?

Yes.. This PC is quite loud when I turn it on. ( It was loud before my PSU went out. I presume because of its age, and some dust inside- but I don't think the noise is the problem)

I have took pictures. Though I don't know how much help they will provide. I have only plugged in 3 cords.They are:
one 4 pronged cord,
one 24 pronged cord?(need to count),
one 4 pronged cord to my cd rom.

I would like to note that when I removed my dead PSU from the pc, and tried replacing it with my new psu. The new psu cord only has like 20 prongs. I managed to plug it in, but there is an extra 4 slots left over. It's really hard to explain.. I'm thinking this is the problem, as it doesn't have enough prongs to go in the slot.

Attached File  20prong.jpeg   10.75KB   2 downloads
hard to see the details, i know :( . but if you can look, this plug doens't totally fit into the slot. there are still 4 open slots on the very left.

Regards,
Mitch

Edited by infected mqan, 23 June 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,555 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:32 PM

Re the PSU connections, see Connecting 20-pin ATX PSU to 24-pin Motherboard - http://www.smps.us/20-to-24pin-atx.html . I've used 20-pin PSUs with 24-pin motherboards before with no problems.

Louis

#13 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

can you take a pic of how you have the back of the hard drive connected?

Is the hard drive IDE or SATA?
You can tell by the connectors. IDE will use a ribbon cable about three inches wide and a white power connector.
If the drive is IDE make sure that the red stripe (pin 1) faces the power connector.
Most are keyed but some arent.

SATA connectors are all keyed and cannot be plugged in wrong.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#14 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:42 PM

Re the PSU connections, see Connecting 20-pin ATX PSU to 24-pin Motherboard - http://www.smps.us/20-to-24pin-atx.html . I've used 20-pin PSUs with 24-pin motherboards before with no problems.

Good read, thanks!

Since that eliminates my guess/reason for the problem, I am now clueless. It seems the most common solution is that my cords aren't firmly connected. Which still leaves me bewildered.

Am I correct to think that I only need 2 cords plugged in with the PSU? One 4pronged cord to the mobo, and one 20pronged cord to the mobo? Initially I had 3 plugged in, the last being plugged to the CD-Rom, but since my cd-rom doesn't even work- is it necessary to plug that in?

Just don't understand whyyyy!

Regards,
Mitch

#15 infected mqan

infected mqan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:24 PM

can you take a pic of how you have the back of the hard drive connected?

Sure.. If I took a picture of the wrong thing, I will gladly take another.

Is the hard drive IDE or SATA?

I beleive it is SATA. I am not certain, hopefully the picture can provide a conclusion.

If the drive is IDE make sure that the red stripe (pin 1) faces the power connector.

I think it is SATA? I'm having a difficult time trying to interpret this.

Attached File  hd?.jpg   258.05KB   3 downloads
Is this the correct picture you were asking for? I have one red cable coming from that.

Why would this SATA have anything to do with this? I didn't touch this cord. Uggh

Edited by infected mqan, 23 June 2011 - 06:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users