Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio/Video stuttering issues after removing malware

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 DAM091

DAM091

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:10 AM

Hello, and thank you in advance for your help.

A few months ago, my system became infected: namely, AntiMalware Doctor and the Google redirect virus. After getting some help from Microsoft Customer Support, I found your forums. Since then, I have received lots of help from Malware Response Team member Sempai. I'm happy to say the infections appear to be gone; however, some issues seem to persist.

Audio & video is choppy and stuttered. This occurs with all audio and video, from my own music and videos on my HD to youtube and other streaming video to games run through flash, java, etc. The only site that doesn't seem to be choppy is Hulu. For some reason, their video comes through with no issue. My main issue is with SlingPlayer, an application that uses my SlingBox (a device hooked to my cable box that allows me to stream my television online) that worked with no problems before. Now, it is unwatchable, due to the extreme stuttering. I have tried letting it buffer, but no amount of storing up the video seems to matter. Also, youtube and other streaming videos tend to run a little better once I have let them completely load, but it doesn't always work and it isn't perfect.

Whenever I Restart my computer, the audio controls on my machine stop working, and the Volume icon on my system tray disappears. I effectively have no volume control. The only remedy for this that I've been able to figure out has been using System Restore to go back a day or so. Then, it works fine until I have to restart again.

Last night, after attempting some fixes that the Malware Response Team member suggested, something happened to my video. Most of the icons on my system disappeared: desktop icons, sytem tray, files and folders, even the windows logo on the start button. Along with that, when I attempted to shut down Avast Antivirus in order to run ComboFix, the screen would go gray, as it should, but no popup window was visible. The popup window is necessary to verify that I requested the deactivation of the antivirus. After some tabbing and spacing, I finally got it to work. After a few minutes, I got a blue screen and a restart. This happened several times. I finally did another restore this morning after being redirected here from the Malware Response Team.

Here is a link to my original post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic394668.html

I am on a Compaq Presario M2000 notebook, model M2305NR, running WinXP Pro. It came with XP Home, but at some point, the previous owner (my grandfather) had someone put XP Pro on it. I have an XP Pro CD, but I am unsure if it has SP3 on it, and I don't know how to check. If you need any more info or specs, don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you again for all your help.

-David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:03 PM

<<7 hour chkdsk, 6 hour defrag. Still nothing.>>

Unless you have a really huge hard drive...I suggest that you run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on your hard drive.

I have 500GB drives that run those tools substantially quicker.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

What you seem to diagnose as driver errors...may be indicative of a failing hard drive or damaged system files.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2011 - 12:03 PM.

#3 DAM091

DAM091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

Which do I run?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:34 PM

Who is the manufacturer of your hard drive?

You can find out by physically looking at the drive...or you can go Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Click the plus-sign in front of Disk Drives...the model number for your drive will be indicated. The manufacturer's name may also be indicated...if not, you can use Google to see who made that particular model.

If the diagnositc offers a long test and a short test...just run the long test, skip the short.

Louis

#5 DAM091

DAM091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

TOSHIBA MK6025GAS.

Which tool do I use?

Thanks!

-David

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/WarrantySupport/SoftwareUtilities

Either one of the first two. I tend to prefer diagnostics that run in DOS, but some diagnostics work properly from within Windows. The first looks like it runs in Windows, the second from a CD or bootable floppy.

Run the comprehensive test.

Louis

Please...read instructionf for use before starting.

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2011 - 04:10 PM.

#7 DAM091

DAM091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:18 PM

The first program shows my drive under Drive Information, but it would not allow me to select it for a test. When I clicked on Extended Test, it says, "Please select the target drive to test." I click the drive name, but it does not get selected.

The second one gave me the following message: "WARNING: No Hard Disk Drive has been identified in your system. The following are the possible causes: HDD power cable is not properly attached to the HDD, HDD interface cable is not properly attached to the HDD, HDD master-slave setting is incorrect." I'm on a laptop, so I'm not sure how to fix these, but I'm guessing it's not any of them.

-David

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:35 PM

http://www.hdsentinel.com/dl.php

Download/install the Limited Trial/Free Version 3.60 zip-format version.

This version is run from within Windows, I want you to just install it...do not run any tests.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2011 - 05:36 PM.

#9 DAM091

DAM091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:55 PM

Installed; what do I do with it?

Sorry... just read that last sentence. Haven't done anything, awaiting further instructions.

-David

Edited by DAM091, 23 June 2011 - 06:02 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:45 PM

Click the program...read/post the information reflected for your hard drive on the graphical screen.

Louis

#11 DAM091

DAM091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:33 PM

Performance: 100% Excellent (I doubt it)
Health: 63% Fair
20 bad sectors, 18 weak sectors
Is there any other info you're interested in? Where do I find it?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:30 AM

OK, that's good info...close that program.

Go Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.

Type Y in new screen and hit Enter.

Reboot the system...the command will execute and boot into Winodws on completion.

If any onscreen error messages appear while the chkdsk /r is running, please write them down and post them in your next reply.

Louis

#13 DAM091

DAM091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:00 AM

Chkdsk ran for a loooong time, and when it was done, nothing happened. I didn't get any log or notification or anything like that. Just my normal desktop upon boot up. But I did get the disappearing sound problem again. Unless you say otherwise, I'm gonna restore to the spot I made yesterday. Is that ok?

NOTE: chkdsk got stuck on part 4 of 5, if that helps at all.

Edited by DAM091, 25 June 2011 - 01:01 AM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:46 AM

<<My main issue is with SlingPlayer, an application that uses my SlingBox (a device hooked to my cable box that allows me to stream my television online) that worked with no problems before. Now, it is unwatchable, due to the extreme stuttering. I have tried letting it buffer, but no amount of storing up the video seems to matter. Also, youtube and other streaming videos tend to run a little better once I have let them completely load, but it doesn't always work and it isn't perfect.>>

I suggest uninstalling this program...then rerunning the chkdsk /r command...then seeing if you still have issues without this program.

Louis

#15 DAM091

DAM091
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:29 AM

It's already uninstalled. I removed it from my system a little while back, and haven't put it back since. By main issue, I mean what's most important to me. The program worked fine before the infection. Theres also a web player that does the same thing, but with the same results. Same choppiness. It only ever got choppy before momentarily while I was doing something else, like loading a web page or opening a program. Once that was done, it went right back to normal. That makes me believe that theres something running on my machine that's taking up resources, and not letting these things run properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users