Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSN email address book hacked, sending malicious links

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MapleValleyJen

MapleValleyJen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:34 AM

This morning my msn email account had letters from family letting me know that my msn address has been sending emails from my account that contain malicious links. When that family member clicked on the link it started downloading and could not be stopped until she used control/alt/delete to shut off the computer.

Yesterday I had just opened an email account with Gmail and imported my address book. Is this related? Or maybe, is this problem tied to when the gaming system PS3 had its data hacked a few months back--personal data areas were hacked that included email, credit cards, and passwords, etc.? Either way, I need to find where the problem is and fix it.

I went to MSN Live solutions center, downloaded and ran their recommended tool to locate problems--a quick scan found nothing. I am running Nortons Antivirus that came with my Qwest MSN account. My main computer is running XP Media edition, 32 bit, with service pack 3.

Please help me locate the trouble and fix this. I have sent a warning email to my whole address book from my new Gmail account to hopefully prevent others from getting this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MapleValleyJen

MapleValleyJen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:13 PM

Update--so far MSN says it sounds like a virus, but nothing was found. We reset the computer to an earlier date, about 8 days earlier, and then Norton's wouldn't run. It had 3 error codes; 3043,1 3040,20011 and 3040,20063. Nortons Fix it didn't work on these codes and after following their recomendations, it still didn't work. Finally uninstalled Nortons and reinstalled. Ran quick scan, found 8 small problems and it fixed those. Ran again as full scan, found 4 more concerns and automatically repaired those as well.

Ran Microsoft Safety Scanner for full scan- nothing found. Ran SpyBot search and destroy--nothing found.

Talked to Qwest, because they were the number Norton's sent me too (Qwest provides my DSL). Qwest took the info and looked at my email account. They noticed the virus links all end in /world.html and many have more in common like modules/Search/world.html Qwest is looking into that, but who knows if they will find where this started? Qwest did say that copies of email sent from my MSN account were being sent to another account, my husband's email. We checked his account- non of my emails are there, except the spam email with the virus link.

This makes me worry--is someone intercepting my email? Maybe I didn't understand. My husband's email is on my account as an alternate in case something happens.

I have not had a chance to contact Gmail yet. It seems like more than a little bit of a coincindence that my address book is being used to send virus link emails just a few hours after I started a gmail account, transfered my msn addresses to gmail and linked the accounts so gmail would forward to msn.

Does any of this extra info give you an idea of what has really happened to my msn account? Should I be worried that someone is actively phishing for info by intercepting copies of my email? I have gone to a different computer and changed many of my passwords. I have alerted my bank and credit card companies too. Or maybe it is just a simple one time stolen password to spread the virus with no further intent. I'd really like to know how I can be sure what has happened and if it is safe to use my email and main computer again.

#3 Dave1960

Dave1960

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:10 AM

Just change your password to something strong - at least 8 characters with a combination of letters, numbers and special characters like *, &, !, etc. This will stop the emails from being sent without your knowledge. Good luck!

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users