Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Administrator Password

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LadyBizBiz

LadyBizBiz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:02 AM

When my partner set up my brand new PC he set up an account in my name, so there are now two accounts on the machine, Admin and Mine.

I can use my account for most daily things, but I need to be the Administrator because I don't have rights to do some stuff.

Problem is he's forgotton the Admin password .... so I can't log in as the Admin.

What can I do? How do I change this password?

Thanks LadyBizBiz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:03 AM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-to-do-if-you-forget-your-Windows-password

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:18 AM

You can use a Linux Live CD such as Ubuntu or here is a link to another smaller downloadable
tool. Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor

Note that you will be creating a bootable disk or Flash drive. Download, unzip and burn ISO to disk.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 LadyBizBiz

LadyBizBiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:18 AM

Ok Thanks to you both. I'm going to try it step by step.

I don't want to risk losing any data as this is my business machine.

There was no reset disk to our knowledge so looks like options are limited.

I'm not sure I have enough tech knowledge to handle the Ubuntu option Buddy, and my guy doesn't, I know that for sure.

Here goes ..... wish me luck!

Thanks again.

Ladybizbiz

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,101 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

You should have backed up your entire drive on a regular basis and if
you have not done that, I suggest you do that before anything else. Win7 makes it
easy to do that. Especially on a machine used for business.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 LadyBizBiz

LadyBizBiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:24 AM

Been backing up since 2006 with Carbonite, so no probs.

But think I'll find a Microsoft Certified Engineer to have a play with it, because I don't think I could be trusted to do it successfully.

Should have realised it wasn't going to be an easy job!

Thanks for trying to offer help though, really do appreciate it.

Ladybizbiz

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,101 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:18 PM

Maybe if you read thru the easy to understand instructions offered in the link below
you might change your mind and save a few bucks.
Resetting Windows Password | HBCD Fan & Discussion Platform

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users