Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Wont Turn On

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rocknsock

rocknsock

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:26 AM

Im having an issue with my Toshiba Laptop, the lights dont turn on, but when i push the power button it flashes and so does the light at the bottom. Ive removed the battery and just plugged in straight from the wall and still no luck. Any ideas on what the problem may be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:27 PM

hi, what is the exact model #

the main cause usually is the motherboard gone bad,but it could be many things,if you can try removing the ram chips,remove battery and power plug first [ usually on the bottom .just remove the small door/cover to expose the ram and remove it ] and see what happens

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

FWIW I do warranty work on Toshibas.

I've seen some funny things.

One recently the Webcam was shorted out and unplugging it fixed that issue
Another one the lights showing different statuses were the problem.

A test is to remove the keyboard. Unplug everything except the cable from the power switch and speakers. remove all options such as the wireless card, hard drive, Optical drive, all but one memory and test if no good switch the memory cards, remove battery and test. If it now comes on start by plugging in one thing at a time.

Another thing to look at first is the USB ports. If any are damaged and the pins inside are bent they could be shorting out the laptop too. If so use a fine point tweezers and unshort them and test.

Be extremely cautious as the connectors are delicate and easy to ruin, thus ruining the motherboard. Find a service manual on the internet as I'm not allowed to post them. Also find a tutorial on the different types of connectors. Some you release a clip on each side, others you lift up to release and other you pull out keeping in mind not to pull on the wires.

As a guideline where I am for off warranty work we charge a $49 diagnostic fee which applies towards a $99 repair fee if repair is chosen. We also do not describe the problem for the diagnostic fee we just give a cost of parts and labor, due to cheapskates taking the diagnostic report and picking up the computer to do it themselves.

In the first two cases they decided it wasn't worth replacing the parts as long as the laptop worked.

Good Luck

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users