Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drunk Driving

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 JimmySlim

JimmySlim

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:01 PM

About two days ago, Ryan Dunn (from Jackass) died of drunk driving. Before I start, I just want to say that Dunn's death was very unfortunate, and that I did not make this to offend anyone. My heart goes out to Dunn's family and friends.

What seems funny to me though, is that anyone (Roger Ebert) who criticizes Ryan Dunn's choice of drinking and driving is slammed down by all his friends, fans, family, and even Bam Margera. I understand that now is not the time to be attacking Dunn for his actions, but doesn't anyone think he made a poor choice? People have gone so far as to justify Dunn's action by saying that it was God's decision to take Dunn away from this earth. Why are we trying to avoid the fact that he broke the law, and took his own life by choosing to drink and drive? Not only did Dunn risk own his life, but he also put other drivers in jeopardy. Is it until he kills someone through drunk driving is he then labeled as a "bad guy"?

In May, a 14 year old girl was killed when a drunk driver slammed into her car in Irvine, California. That man, Austin Farley, has received immense hate and criticism from the public. He is pretty much labeled as a criminal and as a person who is irresponsible. No one is taking his side.

Farley and Dunn were both driving under the influence. Why then, does everyone choose to turn away from the fact that Dunn made a poor choice? Is it because he is famous? Wasn't he irresponsible for his actions? Although Roger Ebert's comments are a bit harsh, I must agree that he speaks some truth.

What do you think?

These are my thoughts and opinions about this on going subject, I just wanted to put it out there to see what others think. I know that any death (good or bad) has it's toll on others, and I hope I did not offend anyone.

Looking forward to everyone's opinions. Thanks all!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

In my honest opinion anyone that drives while Drunk should be shot just like any other dangerious Creature.

I think that anyone that has lost Family or friends through one of them will feel the same.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#3 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:51 AM

Personally, I would go for a permanent revocation of there license. I would only have them shot if they then drove. :whistle:

#4 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:50 AM

Yep, give them the Final Chance.

But after that let them REALLY Pay! Before they Kill our Kids.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:32 PM

Unfortunatly, the sitiations different. In many cases, in a drunken driving accident, the drunk usually survives (because they dont tense up before the impact) while the person they run into dies, which makes the driver the moron, he gets looked down upon, etc. But in cases, when its just the drunk in the accident, and the drunk actually dies-they just say poor soul, made a mistake. Its taken all out of proportion cuz hes famous-if that guy had killed a teenage girl, and lived through it, hed be the countries worst villian right now, when in reality, hes just doing what a good portion of the rest of the countries doing, but since he died, hes just a victim of a poor decision and shouldnt be looked down upon. If you ask me, I feel sorry for his friends and family for their loss-like I would for anyone who lost a friend/family member, but just like everyone else he should never have gotten behind the wheel drunk, he was a moron for doing so, and he got what he had coming. Its just to bad he had to take his friend with him. If everyone wants to bash me and hate me for that statement, well theyre more then welcome to, drunk drivings not cool I dont care whos doing it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:23 AM

What can you expect from someone that does stupid things in movies like Jackass.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:18 AM

:whistle:

Only in Queensland?

Townsville woman becomes first person to lose licence immediately for mid-rage drink-driving under new legislation

NEW legislation that sees mid-range drink drivers lose their licences was introduced at midnight - and took five minutes to claim its first catch.

A 40-year-old Townsville woman was the first person to lose her licence immediately under the new legislation after she was pulled over on Flinders Street about 12.05am this morning.

A police spokesman said she returned a blood alcohol concentration of .108, putting her in the mid-range category of drink driving charges.

As of today, state legislation has changed the law to empower Queensland police to immediately suspend the licences of anyone returning a mid-range BAC of between .10 and .15.

Anything over .15 is considered a high range drink driving charge and already carries an immediate suspension of a person's driver's licence.

Until today, when the state laws changed, anyone caught drink-driving automatically loses their licence for at least 24 hours if they return a BAC under .15.

The court then decides on whether or not the alleged offender gets to keep their licence in each case.

The new laws puts the mid range drink driving levels in line with the levels considered in the high range category.

Queensland Transport Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk said drink-driving laws had been toughened following feedback on the drink-driving discussion paper last year.

She said the risk of crashing was 20 times greater when a person had a BAC of 0.15 as opposed to driving sober.

Ms Palaszczuk said the new laws were designed to cut down on the high number of drink driving related crashes on the state's roads each year.

``In 2010, 50 people were killed as a result of crashes involving drink drivers,'' she said.

``This represents 20.1 per cent of all road fatalities in Queensland for that period.

``In the same year there were more than 29,000 drink driving offences detected in Queensland.

``Those sorts of statistics are unacceptable and we will continue to do everything we can to drive down the road toll.

Ms Palaszczuk said lowering the threshold for immediate suspension would protect the public by preventing alleged offenders from legally driving again before their court date.

``Holding a driver license is a privilege and we have introduced these laws to keep drink drivers off our roads,'' she said.

If a person is charged with a medium or high range drink driving charge, the court has to impose a mandatory disqualification of driver's license.

The Railway Estate woman, who will be the first to appear in court under the new legislation, was given a notice to appear in the Townsville Magistrates Court on July 21.

Link, Maybe read the Comments, I just did not bother, Good on them. Next is to Shoot the Idiots! :hysterical:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/townsville-woman-becomes-first-person-to-lose-licence-immediately-for-mid-rage-drink-driving-under-new-legislation/story-e6freoof-1226085557339

In all seriousness they are much more Dangerious than any Creature in Australia. That is saying a lot.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

I can answer the question:

Celebrities are held in a different light as opposed to regular people. Just look at Lindsey Lohan and Charlie Sheen. If they were non-celebs, then they would be in jail for a long time for their abuse of drugs and alcohol. The difference is Money and Influence.

The more money you make the more immune you are to the laws that govern everyone else. There is no Fair and Balanced enforcement of the Law. If you think there is, then you need to seek some help.

#9 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:46 PM

I do not side with the "status" of a person in public view when it comes to crimes. If you do something wrong, then you should pay just like everyone else. Lindsey Lohan and Charlie Sheen should both be held accountable under the same kind of ruling that the average person gets. So should Ryan Dunn. I am aware this is not how things work but we all know it should.

Edited by s1lents0ul, 11 July 2011 - 12:46 PM.

==]--s1lents0ul-->

#10 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:21 AM

Maybe this is in tune with what should be done?

Cop of the Year arrested for drink-driving

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/cop-of-the-year-arrested-for-drink-driving/story-e6freoof-1226092546317

That would soon sort it out.

Ray

What is a Dog?

#11 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:12 AM

Wonderful to see this!

A mother in Wales was stopped from picking up her daughter from primary school after a teacher confiscated her keys because she was too drunk to drive.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8285985

About time? I loved the Sentence given to her.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

#12 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

Glad to see these crimes being properly punished for a change.

#13 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

Just sad they treated the problem with punishment, but not one mention of her getting any treatment for her disease. All for naught.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#14 CFred

CFred

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:22 PM

I'm a butthead, I totally despise anyone who drinks and drives, and always hope they can become a fatality. Maybe Dunns' family should get a copy of "another one bites the dust" song, hehe.

As for Maine, we have an extremely wimpy guvnah as in we have such lame fines for OUI's. Then again, I don't drive much, so let them do what they will, it'll never end anyway. Habitual offenders are rampant. Maybe I should take up drinking so I can be more sympathetic. It is tragic though when an innocent life is lost or ruined because of a drunk.

Looney

#15 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:43 AM

I have no sympathy for drunk drivers.

For those who kill only themselves I say Good Riddance.

Those who kill others should be locked away just like a murderer and stripped of everything they own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users