Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Second Hard Drive installation problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hatebreed

Hatebreed

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

Hey everyone, noob here looking for help.
I am installing a second hard drive into my friends HP DV8000 laptop. There are two bays in the laptop for 2.5" PATA drives. The first drive (Fujitsu 100GB) has Windows XP Home installed on it already. It had a jumper from the factory, set on "Cable Select."
I have installed a 250GB WD Scorpio (storage drive) in the second bay. The BIOS recognizes the new WD but does not show the original Fujitsu. I took off the jumper on the Fujitsu and put it in the slave spot on the WD. This still shows the WD as the only drive in the BIOS.
Any thoughts on what to do would be greatly appreciated.
-Anthony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:00 AM

When using Cable Select...the jumpers for both drives must reflect that setting.

It's not clear to me that you had CS enabled on the second drive.

Louis

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:16 AM

Read This

It should explain everything.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic