Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Scareware"? Gave memory error, hid pictures and videos, created popup that asked me to buy software

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Automatom

Automatom

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:57 PM

Hey everyone!

Subject pretty much says it all... I'm helping someone fix their computer. A day or two ago, they 'apparently' clicked on a google picture and something downloaded... Soon afterwards, they received an error saying they were low on RAM, and then a popup continuously loaded asking them to buy some program to fix the error. I didn't see anything interesting in msconfig, and I didn't know where to start in regedit. Trendmicro virus scanner has come up with multiple errors, but it cannot fix them (I'll update this post with the errors the next time a scan is complete). I've also run a HijackThis, and I'd love to post it here, but I understand I can't... If that would help, I'd be happy to email it to someone.

I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks!

AutomaTom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

Hi there Automaton.

You can follow this guide for generating a full battery of malware analysis logs (starting on step 5): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

HijackThis has been deprecated in favor of the logging tools listed in the guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users