Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What type camera for small objects?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:00 PM

I would like a point and shoot camera that can take pictures of small things like jewelry and screws. Can anyone recommend one?

My Canon A60 Powershot, which I now need to replace, did not do a very good job photographing small items w/ its macro setting. I can't afford an SLR-type camera and wouldn't have use for that capability anyway. I'm hoping a basic camera will work, but I don't see anything in camera review articles that addresses "macro" type shots.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:30 PM

I don't have a specific camera to recommend, but as an alternative to looking for a camera with powerful macro setting, you might look for a camera that can accept external filters. Even some simple pocket cameras can do this, usually by means of a tube adapter that fits around the lens and screws directly into the body. The tube then accepts filters and auxiliary close-up lenses. Close up lenses are identified with numbers ranging from +1 to +10, and are frequently packaged as a set including +1. +2, and +4. The lenses can be "stacked" -- a +1 can be screwed onto a +2 to provide the "missing" +3. The image quality is slightly degraded, since you're using two lenses, but I'm very happy with the results I get. (My camera is a very old Kodak DX6490, and has been discontinued so long it wouldn't be any help to you.)

But, to me, the real strength is I can use circular polarizing filters -- very effective for outdoor shots.

Good luck! :thumbup2:

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

Thanks Capn Easy,

Any suggestions on how to find cameras that accept filters? My google searches have gotten me articles on technique and pros and cons - not on specific cameras.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

One way might be to work backwards -- enter "point and shoot camera lens adapter" in the search boxes at Amazon or an online camera store and see what cameras the adapters fit. Of course, if you have a favorite brand, include that in the search term.

#5 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 440 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

Thanks Capn Easy,

I did amazon & google searches for canon point & shoot lens adapters. The adapters seem to be for the higher end point & shoots [G and SX series] starting at $200. A lower end high end might fit in my budget and might do an adequate macro for my purposes w/out an adapter, which are almost as expensive as a cheap point and shoot camera. Well, about half as expensive as a cheap point & shoot camera.

I'm going to start reading about the G & SX Canons - see if I can find a review about macro mode.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#6 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:32 AM

Good luck!

#7 code13

code13

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

I have a low end cam, and it takes great pictures of small objects.
use natural light(enough to not have the flash flas, have flash on auto and set to macro.
Point to the object and half click the shutter, (press the shutter so it will start focusing but not take the picture) and when it turns green, take the picture.
Other ways is taking off macro and zooming in, or zooming out. It works.

#8 Computer Attempter

Computer Attempter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:56 AM

Capn Easy said it, if the lens on your camera isnt detachable, then you are pretty much buying a new camera for this technique.
As for the camera you should buy, dont know :S

otuside of the square idea. if you own a smart phone, companies make lens packages for your phone. including wide angles, distored wide angles and macro attachments. For as little as $30ish And even though i dont like to admit it, iphones and such have a respectable final image of any photo taken with the right light.

Edited by Computer Attempter, 26 February 2012 - 06:57 AM.

#9 sierrachello

sierrachello

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

You can check this model of NIKON COOLPIX L810 (digicam). :thumbsup:

#10 sierrachello

sierrachello

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

@MaryBet82: post your sample pics here

Edited by sierrachello, 25 April 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#11 scOObie_dOObie

scOObie_dOObie

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

Try to visit this link marybeth82

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic442347.html/page__st__15

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users