Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CREDHIST and s-1-5-19 FOLDER GONE VIRAL

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brucecam

brucecam

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

SID Files Microsoft/Protect/CREDHIST and s-1-5-19: I discovered this file while running a 2010 Version of Uniblue Reg Booster, which hangs at c:/Documents and Settings/LocalService/Application Data/Microsoft/Protect/CREDHIST.If I look in that directory in My Computer, I can't open it or delete that folder. I can't tie it to any local services I see running, or any process I can see taking up memory or CPU in Task Manager. It grows at an incredible rate.
Machine is an HP running Intel Core 2 CPU 6600@ 2.4GHz with 3.5 GB of RAM; OS is XP Pro SP3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:10 PM

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Louis

#3 brucecam

brucecam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:39 AM

Yes, I fully understand this is "motherhood and apple pie" and not hard to grasp. Your relevant caveat is "Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone." Since this is - or maya be - the case, and my topic "CREDHIST...GONE VIRAL" is fairly explicit as to what my "particular problem" is, I'm more concerned with how to rid myself of the incredible multiplying files/folder and get my sluggish machine moving again that lectures about the importance of the registry. I didn't fall off the hay wagon yesterday.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:54 AM

The caveat is posted...not to warn you, necessarily...we really don't try to manage what users do with their systems...but for all those not-savvy readers who visit this forum...and may think that programs such as those offered by Uniblue...are worthy of installation in their systems and useful for their needs.

It's a "Beware The Dog" caveat regarding such programs, no matter who might choose to use whichever program.

If you bother to look...you will see a version of the above posted just about anytime a member mentions a "registry cleaner/optimizer" in a topic and it expresses a BC policy. It's not necessarily directed at the person originating any topic where it appears.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2011 - 09:59 AM.

#5 brucecam

brucecam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

I wonder whether you have anything useful to offer on MY topic, or are merely interested in using my post as a vehicle for airing your views about Uniblue. I perhaps misunderstood the forum's function.

I would, of course, welcome anyone's constructive suggestion as to a) what this CREDHIST folder might be; B) why it keeps eating up disk space and slowing my machine; and c) how I rid myself of it. A Google search reveals that many folks have encountered this problem and I have been unable to find any substantive solution on any help forum.
Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users