Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Boot - Windows Stable Work

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 kephyr

kephyr

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

Clients Dell Optiplex 360 running Windows XP. Right after clicking on User to log in, it immediately displays the Safe Boot splash and then goes to the Windows Stable Work window. It has a window called system Notice to do a "scan". The client has actually followed their instructions and even put in his credit card number (which he said it rejected as invalid). Cannot get anything else to show up -- Ctrl-Alt-Delete just flashes the Task manager before this thing shuts it down. Have booted it up in Safe Mode under the same user and it's there too.

I have a boot CD I can use to get to a command prompt to run something there, but what to run?

I don't want to just re-format if I can avoid it because he's running some old applications that he doesn't have disks for.... and of course he doesn't have a current backup either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:22 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

My name is etavares and I will be working with you to fix your computer.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

Please take note:

• If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know.
  • If you are unable to create a log because your computer cannot start up successfully please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • If you are unable to perform the steps we have recommended please try one more time and if unsuccessful alert us of such and we will design an alternate means of obtaining the necessary information.
  • Once we start working together, please reply back within 3 days or this thread may be closed so we can help others who are waiting. If you will be unable to respond (e.g. vacation, travel, etc.), please let me know ahead of time.
  • Please refrain from running tools or applying updates other than those we suggest while we are cleaning up your computer. The reason for this is so we know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process. Please also continue to work with me until I give you the all clear. Even if your computer appears to act better, you may still be infected.
  • If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
  • If you have already posted a log, please do so again as instructed below, as your situation may have changed.
  • Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.

Just reply to start, then we'll figure out the plan of attack.

If I don't respond within 2 days, please feel free to PM me.
Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 kephyr

kephyr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for your response.

I have resolved the problem. I used VIPRERescue from sunbeltsoftware. It can install from a command line boot.

It's a Dell machine running Windows XP, SP3, 32-bit. I was not able to create a log file. Basically, it would only boot into the Windows Stable Work hijack and that blocked everything. It would not even display the windows taskbar. I tried to open a USB stick that I have tools on and it wouldn't allow that to open. Had all the same actions booting into safe mode.

I would have liked to have been able to get logs from it so that you could see what was different about this one, but as I said, I couldn't get it to do anything.

Thanks again for your response.

#4 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

OK, thanks for letting us know. Safe surfing!

Please don't ask for help via PM. The forums are there for a reason. Please post in the forums so others may benefit as well.

Posted Image

#5 etavares

etavares

Bleepin' Remover

• Malware Response Team
  • 15,514 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users