Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro will not boot - win32k.sys problem

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 ja81

ja81

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:59 AM

I am having an issue with my home desktop. It has Windows XP Professional sp2 or sp3 loaded (I can't remember exactly). The computer will not load properly. When it boots up, it automatically goes to the Windows Advanced Startup mode screen and displays the following message:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally"

I tried to load Windows in each of the options but when I do so, the Windows load screen will come up followed by a blue error screen and then the PC will reboot. The blue error screen says the following:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: win32k.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart you computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE2230000, 0x00000000, 0xBF87298A, 0x00000001)

*** win32k.sys - Address BF872298A base at BF800000, Datestamp 41107f7a

Beginning dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

I am not sure what caused all of this to happen on the PC. Another family member primarly uses this computer and could not remember the events that led up to this. I do not think it was hardware or driver caused as nothing was being installed. It may have been software or virus related however my family member said they did not think there was a virus when they were using the computer.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:01 PM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc939017.aspx

As you can see, STOP 50 errors are difficult to troubleshoot.

I tend to associate this type of error message with malware, but that's just my personal quirk...it's not documentad by anything :).

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 ja81

ja81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:57 PM

It is a custom built PC. It has an ASUS motherboard that is AMD chipset based. If you need specific system specs, I can provide it within a day or so.

Edited by ja81, 23 June 2011 - 03:06 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,469 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:09 AM

Do you have a Genuine XP CD?

Louis

#5 ja81

ja81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:47 PM

Yes

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,469 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

I would try running the chkdsk /r command from the Recovery Console on the XP CD.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/131922-how-to-run-checkdisk-from-recovery-console-windows-xp/

System will reboot into Windows when command has completed.

Louis

#7 ja81

ja81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:12 AM

Ok, I tried running the Recovery Console from the Original Windows XP CD. Windows Setup came up with an error while Setup was still loading the files:

"The file aliide.sys is corrupted. Press any key to continue."

I rebooted the pc and tried to load Windows Setup again and got the following error:

"The file ohci1394.sys is corrupted. Press any key to continue."

On a third attempt the following error occurred:

"File acpiec.sys caused an unexpected error (8192) at line 5897 in d:\xpsp1\base\setup.c. Press any key to continue."

I tried one final time and this time Windows Setup didn't fully load and I got this error on a black screen:

"File \i386\biosinfo.inf could not be loaded. The error code is 8192 Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

Any Ideas? Also, I am beginning to think that malware or a virus caused the computer to crash the first time.

#8 ja81

ja81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:41 AM

Could these errors be the result of a faulty Win XP CD or malfunctioning cd drive?

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:01 AM

Try the following:
  • Disconnect the power and data cables from the HDD.
  • Attempt to boot with the XP CD.

Do you still experience the same problem while loading files from the CD, or do you get to the Setup screen where you have the choice of:
  • To set up Windows ...
  • To repair a Windows ...
  • To quit Setup ... ?

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#10 ja81

ja81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:35 PM

I disconnected both the data and power cables from both HDDs and rebooted the PC. The PC booted from the CD/DVD-ROM drive and automatically went into the Windows Setup screen. However, a new error message occurred:

"File ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded.
The error code is 7

Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit."

#11 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:42 PM

I strongly suspect SP3 as the Problem.

I have run into this so many times.

It is so touchy that the slightest change to Hardware will see the User locked out as you seem to be.

Have you made ANY changes?

Ray

Edited by Drovers Dog, 27 June 2011 - 10:43 PM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#12 ja81

ja81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:48 PM

I personally have not. However I was not using the PC at the time it crashed, a family member of mine was and reported the problem to me.

#13 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:55 PM

OK.

Maybe I can Help?

First thing is to Back up your Important Data.

It can be a slow process? so be patient. It is Important that we only do it once, the Right way.

Let's take our time.

BTW I can guide you in Backing it Up.

Ray

Edited by Drovers Dog, 27 June 2011 - 11:12 PM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:16 PM

Please see the following link:
"Ntkrnlmp.exe Could Not Be Loaded. The Error Code Is 7" Error Message Occurs During Windows Setup

I suggest that you first test the memory (RAM).

Memory needs to be tested outside of Windows, so memtest86+ is run from a bootable CD.

:step1: To make a bootable CD with memtest86+:
  • Extract the downloaded zip file:
    • In Windows XP, right-click on the zip file and choose Extract all.
      The contents of the zip file (the .ISO image file) will be extracted to a folder in the same location as your zip file.
  • Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
    • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
  • When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step2: Boot from the newly created CD.
  • You may need to configure BIOS or the Boot Menu to boot first from the CD.
  • memtest86+ will begin running automatically: You need do nothing else at this time.
  • Allow memtest86+ to run un-interrupted.
See the screenshots in this informative link: Diagnose with Memtest86+

There MUST be NO errors what-so-ever:
  • If you see an error, stop the test.
  • Then proceed to test each stick of RAM separately to sort the good from the bad.
A minimum test for some confidence in the result, should be 7 full passes (each "pass" is a series of different types of tests), with NO errors.
  • Allow memtest86+ to run for 24 hours for maximum confidence in the test result.
memtest86+ will continue running until you stop it:
  • Press the <ESCAPE> key to re-boot the computer, removing the memtest86+ CD.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#15 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:21 PM

Spot on Mate!

Ray

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users