Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Partitions

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Thoughtful Skeptic

Thoughtful Skeptic

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:35 AM

I recently bought a new computer that has Windows 7 and I want to create a new partition to store data and programs, separately from the operating system. The reason is that I want to create an image of the operating system with all current updates so that I can restore the system at a later date, without having to reload Windows from scratch.

I cannot create a new logical partition because the computer came with 4 primary partitions (the maximum number permitted by the architecture). Instead, I used the Windows 7 disk management facility to create something called a “simple volume” on the C: partition. My questions are:

1. Is this simple volume the same thing as a separate partition? Could I format this separately from the rest of the C: drive? Can I assign
a drive letter to it, as the other partitions have?

2. Is it possible to create a back-up image of just the remainder of the C: drive (that contains the operating system)?

3. I plan to use a program such as Paragon, Clonezilla, PartImage or Ping to create a back-up image on an external hard drive (or a bootable DVD,
if I can make the C: partition small enough to do that). Do you know of a better way to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users