Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cruising through and Saying HI

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 castoffpolite

castoffpolite

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

Hey there all you BC peeps. Stoping by checking into a few things, and making decisions.

I finished this years work and decided instead of tossing this machine out the back door, still not working right after that strip and reformat hit I took in January, to attempt an install of a non Microsoft OS. I went through the forums and found the Linux forums and wandered through, took a couple tests and I chose Ubuntu. If it doesn't work, no big deal, I'll hang up the keyboard for a while and go outside and play in my garden.

So what's everyone here been up to? How's the summer going, hot enough? Hopefully no one here was involved in the tornadoes and flooding.

Back after a bit.

Cast

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:13 PM

Lots of rain in the middle of Kansas.
Weird weather for this time of year.
Its the kind of weather you expect in April and May, not June.

Hot too!

Lots of hail damage from the June 1st storm.
Roofers are going crazy & the insurance companies totalled cars left and right for hail damage.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:08 AM

I see I'm not the only one dealing with home issues. There was a leaky pipe in our house, that turned into a burst pipe, that flooded the basement. It turned out that our entire plumbing system was defective, so my family had to pay to have both the entire house re-piped, and our basement carpet and drywall ripped up and out. On top of that, our water heater needed replacing. Whee. :wacko: So, yes, I've technically experienced flooding.

Our basement looks unfinished, (you can literally walk through one wall into another room), but at least our new pipes are okay (so far...*crosses fingers*). Sooo, yes, I can understand frustrated people having guys walking around on their roof repairing hail damage.

So, that's why I haven't been around in a while. At least our AC still works...it has been hot.

Hope everything works out with your computer, castoffpolite!

#4 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

Wow, and I thought I had issues with my house.

Computer is broken. I'm working on a live CD right now. Not sure if it is the MB or the drive. Posted over in the Windows 7, or was it the 2000/XP forum? One of those anyway, somewhere. Tired been up all night. If I cannot find a fix, not going to worry about it all that much. Got new OS coming, if that does not work, I'll go the new MB and drive route through my local puter shop. I've got until October before anything else comes up work wise so, ... just glad I got through this year.

In case I do not make it back, Everyone have a safe a great summer.

Cast

#5 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

I made it back. Now I'm heading out again and I am going to jump right into the Ubuntu 10.04/2lts install and see if I can float or if I will sink like a rock. I'm putting my money the rock. :lmao:

Have a good one, catch you all later, or much, much later.

Cast

#6 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:05 PM

I did not sink like a rock when I changed to the Linux OS and so far, feeling good. I posted my experiences over in the Linux boards so you can check out my happenings over there.

Heading out again all, have a great weekend. :busy:

Cast

#7 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

Man I wish this weather would calm the :censored: down. Last three days it's been hotter than a :flamethrower: with temps over 105. It topped out at 108 here today and right now it's 104 outside. Maybe if I :bowdown: to the weather god he/she/it or they will send some rain our way. Oh I got an :idea:. I could do a rain :dance: but then the neighbors would know for sure I'm :crazy: so it's probably best if I just stay inside and keep :busy:.

Cast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users