Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Decision Made, Going with Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 castoffpolite

castoffpolite

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:15 AM

My machine is a rebuild from my local computer shop. My OS is going bye bye a chunk at a time. I'm just glad it lasted long enough for me to get my work in for this year. Now I am free to play, if you will, until November. I posted over in the Window's 7 forum before I found this forum. I was thinking my problems were stemming from the mother board. That still might be the case, but after I found this forum, took the test, got my results, I decided I want to try another OS on this MB. Chose Ubuntu and think I made the decision in time as after I left BC, multiple crashes.

If I can get it to upload, I will have plenty of time to play around and see if this MB is up to the task or not. If it doesn't work, nothing lost I have no work to do until November and I will buy a new MB and start over.

Cast

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:47 PM

Have fun!

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

If you run into a problem, which seems there is a good chance, you can purchase a Live CD or
a 4gb flash with a persistent install of Ubuntu from the link below.
$1.75 for CD..........$21.95 for the flash.
DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Looks like they build the CDs and flash drives frequently with the latest updates.

Ditto... Capn Easy's post!
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:32 AM

First post went into cyberspace. Try this again.

Yes, run into problem. I bought the Live CD before I attempted download and burn. I was surprised, when I found three other partitions on my drive as I began to set up to reformat, I do a reformat a couple times a year. Took me all night to clear my drive before attempting to install. Still had problems so I'll wait for Live CD to get here.

Cast

#5 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:39 PM

Okay took care of the problems, I hope. I got a new Live CD. It's all ready to go, and so, without further chattering, I am jumping in with both feet. Yeah, I'll probably flounder at first, but that is the best way for me to do things. If all else fails, I got plenty of chocolate here to soothe the beast should it come out of the cave. In the extreme I'll redo windows.

Off to play with some new stuff. :busy:

Have a good one and I'll let you know what happens. This could be like bailing out a boat that is missing half the bottom. :lol:

Cast

#6 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:14 PM

It's done and I am up and so far so good. I even got my high speed Internet connection back. Still playing with it, and it's still basic right now.

#7 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:42 AM

Last night I was so mentally fried, I didn't get too deep into understanding the workings of this OS. I was just so pleased that I did this, and I understood a lot of it right from the start. Now, I am there, I did it, and I will now share some of my initial experiences with the forum.

First off, I am a one OS gal. I don't do the two or more OS, or monitors or anything else like that. I have enough trouble keeping myself out of trouble with just one OS. :lmao: To get my dwnld, I went directly to the Linux site. If you do not have a high speed connection or a steady connection, you might want to go ahead and just buy the CD. Even for me the dwnld was long. I also bought the CD from the Linux store. The version of Linux, called a distribution, or in lay folks terms, the flavor I chose, was the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS version. When I first made the decision to try something new, I went with the most recent distribution, 11.04 and that was a mistake for me. I didn't know things well enough to jump into that. So I backed up, and got the next to the newest. Much better. Okay, so I made the change. I am understanding this OS, this versions jargon is not so different in wording that MS users cannot understand it.

There are some difference right off the bat that might frustrate people and I am one of those folks. I need to change the settings on the sleep (ms jargon) mode, on this system, it is called suspend or hibernate mode. As a writer that will drive me crazy with the settings it came with. I need to find out how to change those settings to a longer time frame.

As a writer, my priority centered on the word processor that came with the system. It worked fine. One problem I did find in that area, is how to save my work in .rtf format as that is what my editor and publisher work with. Need to spend more time to understand and learn in that area.

My system is quiet again. It's not labouring to do things, and yes, it is working faster. Of course I've not put it to task yet.

Web browser that came with this distribution, is FireFox. I'm familiar with that browser so not much in the way of worry there. I feel it is more stable in this distribution. Getting around the web, no problems.

As I was a bit on the side of brain fried last night, well, more than a bit, I did just a basic run through of this OS and then went to bed and it went to sleep with me. Got up this morning, did my morning routine, and when I touched a key, it woke up, ready to go. No problems. That is when my day started. Then I realized it was Friday and I have writer chats on AOL tonight and need to download the AOL program. Now I will find out how easy or hard it will be to get and use other programs to do what I do in my writers life.

I'll keep in touch.

Cast

#8 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:43 AM

There are some good tips/tricks relating to Ubuntu, which may be of help to you here.
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:17 PM

change the power settings first.
Click on system> Preferences> Power Management (I just use Never....Never
I seem to remember that I changed something else to keep the comp and monitor from going to sleep.
See if that works for you and if not I or someone will get back to you if you still have a "sleep" problem.

Save a text document in Rich Text format - OpenOffice.org Writer

EDIT: Meant to comment on AOL....I would suggest strongly to first see if you can do online
what you need to do in AOL first. I really doubt you will be able to install in Linux and even if you
could somehow using Wine then I think you would be opening a big can of worms.

EDIT: System> Preferences> Screensaver ( I have unchecked the two boxes and moved slider to 2 hours)

Edited by buddy215, 24 June 2011 - 12:44 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

Thank you Mr. Fingerz, I will check those out.

Buddy215, yes, I took the time and found the Power Management section and yes, I fixed the problem. Thank you.

I'm thinking as you are that AOL will become my past. Not a problem as I was informed today that the Admins of the Writers Group on AOL is looking at putting the group on Face Book. Yes I understand that Face Book might be dangerous, or is thought by some to be the downfall of the World but, I cannot worry about that. I live a writers life, and that life includes walking across the street where I could get hit by a car, truck, motorcycle, RV, bus, or landed on by the Space Shuttle. :blink: I will deal with problems when they arise. Besides, anyone I know that has computer trouble, I send them to the BC site.

Had no trouble getting to any of my mail on the variety of sites where I get mail. So far the only problem program, is AOL and I don't think that is going to be a problem for much longer. So, off I go again, have a great weekend all. :busy:

Cast
edited for spelling

Edited by castoffpolite, 24 June 2011 - 04:51 PM.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

Looks like you are finding your way around just fine. Great!

Did you miss this link for your solution to .rtf formatting?
Save a text document in Rich Text format - OpenOffice.org Writer

#12 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:50 AM

No I didn't miss it, I just did a quick look and moved on. I put it in my favs and will check it out later when I feel like writing again. For the moment I am on vacation.

I've figured out how to use the radio and video player. Those are important things to me as I don't have a TV. That's why I have Netflix and Hulu. Been to both places, not a problem.

So I have the writing and the listening and watching figured out, now I need to figure out the reading part. I have Amazon's Kindle for the PC, and I've not looked into how that might work. Something to do on Saturday or Sunday after I finish cleaning my house. Speaking of cleaning, with my MS OS I had a specific maintenance routine I did. I've not gotten very deep into the system items but I am guessing that is where I will find the defrag prog or does this OS do that on it's own or give me a pop up when the system needs cleaning and tightening up? I sometimes work with images and videos, and those tend to leave some major gaps when you move them. That contributes to a slow computer.

Not as overwhelming as I thought it might be. I even found the connection to the chat application, connected and chatted for a while with some family out East. It is nice not having to download a ton of programs to have an on line life. I also like that I can keep most of my items on my standalone and work them from there. That reminds me, I should put a bunch of that stuff on CD or toss the items as I won't need them. And -- I found the games. I have not yet checked out my two favorite game sites King or Pogo to see how this system works with that, Another thing to do on Saturday or Sunday.

Got my first upload of sets, it was fast and I liked that I did not have to do a shutdown and restart by turning off the machine and turning it back on. I was on my manager name and when they finished, I pressed finish, and it logged me out and I logged back in on my standard name. I guess that was all that was needed. Tomorrow while I am cleaning I will be turning the machine off and moving around my office, so if those sets are waiting for a physical shut down, that's when it will happen and the machine will be down for a while.

Okay well I am heading out again. Plenty of things to do and play with this weekend. Have a good time all.

Cast

P.S. I just realized I will need to check out my script program on here, Final Draft. I hope I don't have to buy new or it will have to wait.

Edited by castoffpolite, 25 June 2011 - 03:57 AM.

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:38 AM

For reading ebooks, check out Calibre. I use that. One source I use for books is Welcome to Ebook Center.
I use only the free sites for ebooks so if you purchase newer books I will defer to Linux users who do that.
Calibre is listed in the Ubuntu Software Center.

Run Computer Janitor listed under System> Administration
I have used BleachBit as a cleanup program for Ubuntu and Windows for at least 2 years without a problem.
Works similar to CCleaner and will vacuum Firefox. I use it as root sometimes as well. I have the 0.8.7 latest release installed.
As far as defragging goes, it is not necessary. There is a lot of discussion about that on the web.

Playing Pogo on Ubuntu may require removing IcedTea completely and installing Sun Java or whatever it is called now. Give it a go
and if it doesn't work I can help with instructions.

Some updates do require a restart of Ubuntu. You will be instructed to do that when required.

Edited by buddy215, 25 June 2011 - 02:42 PM.

#14 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:50 PM

Yes I found that, said restart required.

Re Pogo, it jumped up and told me I needed Java installed to play on Pogo. I didn't do anything. Once I am more familiar with this OS, then maybe. I'm sure there are other places on the web I can visit to game at that might not require me to make that type of change. I will go see about King dot com and find out what if anything I need there. Paid gaming is not loss of cash, as hubby still has an MS OS and he uses those sites also.

Re Computer Janitor, not real comfortable with that right now, so I will hold off on that until later.

RE E-books I decided are not all that important right now. That will also wait.

Okay, it is now time to take the computer down, and move my office around so machine and I are closer to air conditioning. 107 here yesterday, 106 in the shade. It is already 100 in my house so I don't want to push the machine into the red heat zone. It is going down for the rest of the day. I'll check back in this evening when it begins to cool off, if it does. Last night at midnight it was still in the high nineties, but my office was in the mid 80's range, still on the high side for electronics, but it will not fry anything. If all else fails I'll open the box and let the fan blow the cool air on the board.

Later all.

Cast

Edited by castoffpolite, 25 June 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#15 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:54 PM

For a good ebook search engine, try Inkmesh. The ebooks at Project Gutenberg are free and very well formatted. And if you're interested in science fiction you should look into the free library at Baen Books. Calibre does a great job at reading as well as formatting, and you can get an add-on for Firefox for reading epubs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users