Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Internet Security 2011 Self Help Guide - Need help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 simmy555

simmy555

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:02 AM

Hi,

I am infected with something calling itself XP Internet Security 2012, and am attempting to follow the self-help guide. However I can't get past the first step! I have downloaded the registry fix file, on a clean machine, to a CD-R, but when I try to open it on the infected machine, the bugger is blocking it, and the CD appears to have no files on it at all. Help!

Edited by hamluis, 22 June 2011 - 06:51 PM.
Moved from MRL, no logs, to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:13 PM

Try making the file again on the other PC and confirm its on it before you leave,

There is also this method

If you do not have any removable media or another clean computer that you can download the FixNCR.reg file onto, you can try and download it to your infected computer using another method. On the infected computer, right click on the Internet Explorer's icon, or any other browser's icon, and select Run As or Run as Administrator. If you are using Windows XP, you will be prompted to select a user and enter its password. It is suggested that you attempt to login as the Administrator user. For Windows 7 or Windows Vista, you will be prompted to enter your Administrator account password.

Once you enter the password, your browser will start and you can download the above FixNCR.reg file. When saving it, make sure you save it to a folder that can be accessed by your normal account. Remember, that you will be launching the browser as another user, so if you save it to a My Documents folder, it will not be your normal My Documents folder that it is downloaded into. Instead it will be the My Documents folder that belongs to the user you ran the browser as. Once the download has finished, close your browser and find the FixNCR.reg file that you downloaded. Now double-click on it and allow the data to be merged. You should now be able to run your normal executable programs and can proceed to the next step.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 simmy555

simmy555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:10 AM

Thank you very much for the reply! I eventually managed to get FixNCR.reg on to the infected machine using a flash drive. I have also been able now to download Rkill onto the infected machine, but am having problems running it. The self-help guide says to leave any pop-up security warning windows open and just keep trying to run Rkill again, but how long do I keep doing that? I currently have 37 of these windows open....

#4 simmy555

simmy555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:50 AM

Never mind, got it now, thanks again!

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:43 AM

Ok, post back the MBAM and TDSS logs amd tell us how it is.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

Tdss
A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
[*]Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users