Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 System Defragmentation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gil58

gil58

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:51 AM

What's the best way to defragment a Win98se system. Glad to see they aren't completely dead!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PC WhizzKid

PC WhizzKid

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:08 AM

What you mean your hard-drive?
PC Specs:
Model: Advent CPU: 2.4 Quad-Core P4 RAM: 4.0GB Graphics: 256MB On-board ATI X1200 Sound: On-board Hard-Drive: WD 500GB Monitor: 19 (1400x900) Windows: 7 Home Premium.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:05 AM

It depends on what you mean by "best". For most purposes there's no occasion to do anything more fancy than tidying up by deleting any unnecessary files and then running the defrag program. Some people almost made a religion of defragmenting the life out of their system for maybe about 1% better results. But for most of us, a run of the default defragmenter every few months when the computer isn't being used for anything else is fine.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

Just to add -
Sometimes something running in the background will conflict with 98 defrag & cause it to start over.
If you run scandisk first and get the message "Scandisk has restarted 10 times... etc" you will probably encounter this.

You might want to defrag 98 in safe mode.
Either that or bring up the task list with ctrl-alt-del & end task on everything but explorer and systray.
You may have to end task on an item multiple times before it shuts down the app.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Bill R TechSpec

Bill R TechSpec

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:51 PM

What you mean your hard-drive?

I think he means Win 98 & ME aren't completely "dead", as this forum provides help with these OSs....

#6 Bill R TechSpec

Bill R TechSpec

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

What's the best way to defragment a Win98se system. Glad to see they aren't completely dead!

Eyesee is correct -- if you don't shut everything down as he recommends the defragmenter will re-start and never complete (it may restart even when the screen saver comes on).

There was a very popular free defrag program called "Diskeeper Lite" that supported Win 98, ME and XP I believe. It is no longer made, but here is a link where you can still download it for free as of April 2011:

http://copir.net/windows/diskeeper-lite

I don't know if any other currently available defragmenters support win 98, but the above program worked very well and from what I recall it did not have the re-start problem.

Good luck!

Bill R TechSpec

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

If you can find it, Windows ME defrag worked with 98 and was a LOT faster!
Dont know that I would trust the download sites though.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:52 PM

Thats what i use on mine,THE WINME DEFRAG

I often wonder though how good a job it does,faster does not mean better especially with disk utilities,you really want THE BEST JOB POSSIBLE!

When i check my disk with a deleted file scan,etc.. after a defrag there are still DELETED FILES on it starting around cluster 98000 (6%) .. Im thinking the WinME defrag isnt as good as the 98se defrag (Slower but better??)

I might run the 98se defrag again and see if it gets them all...... (THERE SHOULDNT BE ANYTHING EXCEPT AT THE VERY END OF THE DRIVE AFTER A DEFRAG)

#9 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:11 AM

Actually one Defrag is rarely enough on a heavily Fragmented Drive, no matter what OS. Several defrags one after the other will certainly improve things. Easiest way is to use something like this first to get rid of some of the Crap, Simple and takes up no resources. http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=69

It should get rid of the Deleted Files.

Then Defrag on a very regular basis. I do mine weekly, sometimes, daily if a lot of Net Traffic.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 24 June 2011 - 12:14 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,704 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:26 AM

When i check my disk with a deleted file scan,etc.. after a defrag there are still DELETED FILES on it

A partition will always appear to have deleted files still existing on it, this doesn't tell anything significant about the action of a defragmenter. The names of deleted files remain in the filename directory, with the starting cluster number where the original file began. The first character of the filename is changed to an illegal character so it will be ignored by the file system and not returned as a valid entry in file listings, and the cluster chain belonging to it in the FAT is marked as available. It's these "tagged" filenames that are reported by file recovery utilities, and this information is not altered by a defragmentation. What will change is the contents of the clusters where the deleted file was stored - during a defrag they will almost certainly be overwritten by the contents of a moved file, which will mean the original file content is not recoverable.

(THERE SHOULDNT BE ANYTHING EXCEPT AT THE VERY END OF THE DRIVE AFTER A DEFRAG)

I guess you meant to say at the start of the drive - the basic purpose of the compaction phase of defrag with a simple file system like FAT is to move all the files a close as possible to the start of the partition where the FAT is located, leaving the end of the drive vacant for new files to be created.

Edited by Platypus, 24 June 2011 - 07:26 AM.

#11 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:50 AM

Sorry?

That is not always the case.

If Crap is there, no matter what OS is used, it will still remain to haunt the User of that OS, unless it is removed first.

Simple things really work.

Test the Program out that I mentoned above, it is as sweet as you can get, for no money and no Hassles on Any Windows Systems.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 24 June 2011 - 07:59 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,704 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:29 PM

Sorry Ray, I take it you're responding to my post?

If so, it's certainly the case that deleted files don't inform you about the actions of a defragmenter, which is what I wished to emphasize to 4dude. Deleted files are no longer present as far as the OS knows and don't need any action to be removed unless you want to also discard the record of their former filenames for security purposes (files in the Windows Recycler are not deleted, just moved to a hidden folder, so they don't count as "deleted").

Removing file clutter is a different matter and already advised in my first response:

tidying up by deleting any unnecessary files and then running the defrag program.

Utilities like CleanUp, CCleaner etc are fine for this purpose.

#13 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:09 AM

We both are on the same track, Mate. Never doubt that.

I can still remember my WIN98SE days when it got so badly Fragmented, "Time for a Reformat and Reinstall"

Modern day Computer OS are a bit diferent now, but some of the old Skills can still apply to them today. I like to use them?

Maybe, at 64, I am a cantankerious old Bloke? :hysterical:

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 25 June 2011 - 04:18 AM.

What is a Dog?

#14 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

Welcome to BC.

What's the best way to defragment a Win98se system.

The best thing you can do is use the WinME defrag its 10 times faster?

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users