Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prepping to Update OS, want new Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 castoffpolite

castoffpolite

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:59 AM

Been a while since I have been here to the forums.

I want to move to a new OS, probably MS 7. Currently using 2000 Professional base with an overlay/upgrade of XP Professional. Yep, she's breaking down on me in pieces.

This machine, HP Compaq dc7700 Convertible Minitower, is a rebuild from my local computer shop. I do not know what is inside the case, no idea. It is coming up on a year old, and I am not at all happy with this machine. My main complaint, the motherboard will not accept or update drivers. I understand that could be due to the age of my current OS. I have been through the HP site, tried to get the right drivers and I continue to receive an error message that my machine is not set up for the drivers, and the download stops. I've got three areas that I cannot get drivers for, Ethernet Controller (high speed connection, this worked fine until I got hit with the strip and reformat attack in January this year.), PCI Simple Communication Controller, (this also worked fine until January of this year.), and there is an unknown device that, well your guess is probably better than mine as to what that is or does. I got a feeling these problems stem from something on the MB. So to know what MB I have, I want an new motherboard before I do a new OS install. I know nothing about MB's. Can you point me toward a MB that will handle all that I do, (see paragraph below), be flexible enough to upgrade hardware if I need to, give me the speed of light on the web when I need it :), and not break down? What type of memory do I need for the suggested MB also?

I deal with a lot of text, writing books and I use this machine to watch tv (sometimes just listen to a program in the background as I write and work on a book), stream my favorites radio stations while I work, play my own videos and movies, again, most of the time in the background while I work. I do a lot of transferring of large text files to book publishers (speed of light reference), I go to my favorite online game places, Pogo and King. I watch video's at NetFlix (paid account), and HULU (paid account). Besides work, I've been known to wander around the net to a variety of different places for fun or to do research for a book.

Thanks

Cast.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:42 AM

I would not spend any money on that computer. Just use it as you have been and have another one built to meat your needs and desires.

#3 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:59 AM

LOL, yeah right. This machine is not a year old yet and I am not going to throw away another grand on anohter machine when I might not have to. After multiple crashes last night, I decided I am going to try another OS. I chose Ubuntu-Linux. If I can get it to upload, I will have plenty of time to play around. That could get me through until I can get a new MB. If it doesn't work, nothing lost I have no work to do until November.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:18 AM

Well...if you insist on replacing the mothetboard, you probably ought to consult the specs, http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00768076/c00768076.pdf

Replacing a motherboard in an HP system is not necessarily the easiest thing to do, depending on how the current motherboard is installed.

Generally...replacing a motherboard also may entail replacing the PSU, the RAM, and the CPU...and reinstalling Windows.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3232101&taskId=135&lang=en&cc=us&prodSeriesId=3232028&prodTypeId=12454 , you should note that drivers don't exist for every version of Windows 7.

Louis

#5 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:49 AM

Thanks Louis,

I'll check out the items you spoke of and see what I find, if this is something I feel comfortable to do on my own or if it's easier to have the shop do it. As I'm not really sure why this machine is having all these problems, I'm guessing it's the MB, could be my hair color, I really do not know. I am just glad it help up long enough to get through the work I had for this year. Whew. I'm going to try a new OS and see if this machine works any better. It's been a problem since I took the strip and refomat hit in January. Maybe a lighter OS, if there is such a thing, will calm this beast down.

I appreciate your input and hopefully, I will be able to keep you informed of the progress. If not, then I'll hang up the keyboard and wave at you from my garden. :)

Thanks and have a great day.

Cast

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:33 PM

Perhaps you don't need a new O/S...just a clean install of the current one :). If nothing else, a clean install should help pinpoint problem areas.

Louis

#7 castoffpolite

castoffpolite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:06 AM

Right on Louis, :thumbsup:

When things refused to work, again, I started a strip and clean reinstall. Well, what I found on my Drive was that besides the one partition made when I last did a clean reinstall, in Feb or March this year, there were two other partitions on my drive, both larger than the original partition. I have no idea why they were there or where they came from. My first thought about that was the MB was faulting out and the OS, reformatted the drive itself ... that idea scared me down to my little toes, as that meant my machine was becoming intelligent and doing a work around on its own. I would prefer my machine not to morph into a transformer please. :o

Anyway, it took me all night to reformat my drive. It refused to reformat the whole drive at one time. I had to delete one partition then reformat to reclaim that drive space. The last partition, was very stubborn, but eventually I won the battle and reclaimed that drive space also. After I finished the above, the reinstall failed, I am working from a live CD right now. At this point I'm not sure if it's the drive or the MB.

Suggestions.

Cast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users