Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no internet connection on desktop ???

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 westsyde

westsyde

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:07 PM

hey guys ,its westsyde here i cant seemm to get my internet working on my desktop comp. it has beenn like that since lastnite. wireless is working so i know its not the internet. i ran malwarebites, superanti spyware and AVG Free edition. and everything came bak clean i could not update my AV cuz i have no internet....prior to my net not working i had downloaded some free music . and switched from avg 30 day free trial back to the free version. i relly hope you guys can help me....thank you very much i forgot to mention that on the program speccy , under network, were it says Wininet info below that in red letters it says An internal error occured

Edited by westsyde, 21 June 2011 - 09:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:46 AM

under network, were it says Wininet info below that in red letters it says An internal error occured

Hi westsyde -
Open Internet Explorer (not F/fox etc) , across the top you should see Tools (if you do not see it press the Alt key) -
Click on Tools dropdown menu > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings and make sure the Top box (Automatically detect settings) is the only box ticked -
Click OK > OK , and see if that makes any changes -

Thank You -

#3 westsyde

westsyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

Thank you very much for your responce... ok, so i checked the setting reccomended and still no internet. i did uncheck a setting , use a proxy server for your lan. should i maybe try restarting in safe mode than see if i have internet?? i 4got to mention in my 1st post that when i swiched back to AVG Free edition it told me ihad to restart my comp. and run setup bcuz AVG did not fully install ...could AVG maybe be my problem??

Edited by westsyde, 22 June 2011 - 06:12 PM.

#4 westsyde

westsyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:20 PM

so i figured out my problem, my network adapter doest work. thx for your help

#5 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:50 AM

Before you replace your network adapter, try these things.

First, in internet options, disable the network. Close the internet options window. Wait a minute and then re-enable it.

If that doesn't work, go to device manager and delete the drivers for your network adapter. Then reboot your computer. If XP already has the drivers for it, it will reinstall them automatically.

If that doesn't work, use your other computer to get the drivers you need from the manufacturers website. Download them to a USB stick and then install them on the lap top.

You also might try running the trouble shooter in the device manager.
Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

#6 westsyde

westsyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:08 PM

i got my internet back. thank you for your help. i had a computer savvy friend come and help me fix it (i know nothing about computers) and the problem was the AVG 30 day free trial version. it had moved my nvidia to a different network or something while AVG was installed( im not sure if im using the rite words sry) then when i had went back to the free version my computer could not find my network connections. even in control panal> network connections there was nothing. ( the reson i thought it was my network adapter was because thats what telus had said when i phoned) so thanks again for your help

#7 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:31 PM

Glad you got it back! :clapping:
Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users