Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buy it now or next year?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Buy it now or next year? (3 member(s) have cast votes)

When do I buy it?

1. now (3 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. next year (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 bscolls

bscolls

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:11 PM

I'm a junior in high school and I have a job in which I sit at a boat landing on a lake and check for harmful invasive plants on boats as they come in. There is internet connection nearby and I can get signal there. Obviously boats do not come all the time so I have a lot of downtime.

My current laptop was a mediocre computer when I bought it 3 years ago for $400. Now the battery is completely shot and I have to leave it plugged in. It is not even an option to bring this to the boat landing.

I would like to buy a computer this summer. Since I'm a junior and I was planning on getting a relatively high end laptop next year anyway, I was thinking maybe i should just get it this year. I would be able to get a better system for the same price next year if I chose to wait. But, if I get it now, I can use it during all of my boring shifts and all this year.

So my question is: should I get a new laptop now or wait till graduation?

Edited by bscolls, 21 June 2011 - 07:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

Well Intel and AMD are realeasing new processor soon and i would by end of this year or next year the new processor would be already in the laptops for sell. What are you gonna use it for and what is the budget?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

Summer will be over before you know it. That means it won't be long until back-to-school sales.

Included in those back-to-school sales will be computers. You may be able to get a good deal on a laptop before school starts. If you don't get the Sunday paper with weekly ads you can go to the websites of stores in your area to look at the weekly ads. See what they have and decide if you want to invest in a new laptop now instead of next year. If you aren't happy with your mediocre system with a shot battery now do you really want to stay unhappy with it for a year? Your normal human reaction in 6 months would probably be "I should have gotten me a new one 6 months ago instead of sticking with this one". Plus, over the course of the year, other things may go wrong with it to the point where it is no longer worth using. You would constantly be trying to keep it working and sometimes it's not worth the hassle. So what if you don't get one with the new processor? What you will have is a system you are happy with and enjoy using.

If you see something on sale, you can go look at it. Just remember that the sale price is only good for a week, so you will have to get it then. If you decide not to get it, there will be others on sale the next week. You run the risk of not getting what you really want if you don't get it when it is on sale.

You could also keep your current laptop limping along until the Christmas season computer sales.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 June 2011 - 05:28 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

Well...years ago, when I bought a laptop...I did so only because I wanted it for the times at work when I could use it. I had no access to a computer unless I bought one and I had ample time to use it and enjoy it...so I didn't hesitate. The money was not a consideration, the important thing for me was to have access to my programs and the Internet when the occasion arose.

The question is...how important is having it during your summer stint...for you?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users