Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD 2th hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xydrothedusk

xydrothedusk

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:45 PM

recently a friend screwed up the control bored for his 2tb Western Digital external hard drive, the port on the control bored came off pulling some pieces of the bored as well and the control bored itself is not sold separately (lucky me free 2tb hard drive lol). I want to wipe the drive and use it as a internal for my computer, it is password protected and i am not sure if i need a program that will just wipe the drive and the password or if i need to crack it first to do it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 straightupwv

straightupwv

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:49 PM

Use Darik's Boot and Nuke(dban)available at dban dot org. It's all you'll need to do a low level format.

Life is too short to have anything but delusional notions about yourself.

#3 xydrothedusk

xydrothedusk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:48 PM

is there a way to crack the passcode and save the content on the hard drive?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:51 PM

Well...I'm not sure it's possible to password-protect a drive which is not a boot drive. It's more likely that some encryption software was used on the drive.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=password-protected%20external%20drive&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=18775b43b0670ef8&biw=1440&bih=699&pf=p&pdl=3000

I can't answer any questions about encryption software...never had desire/need to experiment with such. Since anything on a hard drive as O/S, program, data, etc...is removed by wiping the drive clean...I would think encryption is not an obstacle to wiping the drive and reusing it.

<<is there a way to crack the passcode and save the content on the hard drive?>>

Unless you know the passcode...I doubt it.

Louis

#5 xydrothedusk

xydrothedusk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:29 PM

i know the passcode, only thing is its a external WD and usually shows up under the Western Digital Smartware, but since the conrtol bored is messed up i tried plugging it up in place of my second hard drive, and the computer doesn't even recognize it, i dun kno much in this area, so i prolly missed something

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users