Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 xydrothedusk

xydrothedusk

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:37 PM

recently had a worm on my comp, managed to get rid of it after several days of research and trials, proceed to update vista to windows 7 and started having problems with my graphics card.
*worm was hiding in one of my hard drives used EASEUS Partition Master 8.0.1 home edition to wipe the drive completely clean. got rid of it.

comp specs: m8330f
AMD Phenon Quad-Core Processor 9500
system memory 3072
hard drive 2 300gb WD
Nividia GeForce 8500 GT (driver version 275.33)

screen flickers, keybored and mouse unresponsive, only thing i can do is a hard shut off, sometimes when it gets rly bad it does a system dump

used BlueScreenView
crash report:

==================================================
Dump File : 061711-41028-01.dmp
Crash Time : 6/17/2011 8:17:32 PM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000116
Parameter 1 : 0x864b8008
Parameter 2 : 0x9633fb2c
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0x00000002
Caused By Driver : nvlddmkm.sys
Caused By Address : nvlddmkm.sys+11fb2c
File Description : NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 275.33
Product Name : NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 275.33
Company : NVIDIA Corporation
File Version : 8.17.12.7533
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+dce3c
Stack Address 1 : dxgkrnl.sys+8cc26
Stack Address 2 : dxgkrnl.sys+8da45
Stack Address 3 : dxgmms1.sys+692c
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\061711-41028-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600
Dump File Size : 284,240

**6/19/11**updated with service pack 1 and i think it might have fixed the problem, but if in fact the problem persist, any help would be great

also if anyone could point me to another forum or something on how to combine my 2 hard drives internally so i have 1 C drive thats 600gb instead of C and D thats 300gb each

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 05:42 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First, there is no way you can get two separate hard drives to show up as one single hard drive.

Each drive has its own separate controller board and its on its own separate communications channel, so it is impossible to make it show up as one device.

I relate to your Nvidia video card issues, I experience that same driver crash more than I want to admit I do, the latest drivers released by Nvidia just seem to have a bug written into the code.

As my example, I will show you I am experiencing the same issue by sharing my bug code with you below. This text below is a saved version of it I have in notepad, so the date is rather old, but I still experience it almost every day at one point or another.

Dump File : 051911-25000-01.dmp
Crash Time : 5/19/2011 4:39:14 PM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000116
Parameter 1 : 0x87862008
Parameter 2 : 0x94514176
Parameter 3 : 0x00000000
Parameter 4 : 0x00000002
Caused By Driver : nvlddmkm.sys
Caused By Address : nvlddmkm.sys+ee176
File Description : NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 260.99
Product Name : NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 260.99
Company : NVIDIA Corporation
File Version : 8.17.12.6099
Processor : 32-bit
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\minidump\051911-25000-01.dmp
Processors Count : 1
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601

As you can see above, my error is very similar to yours and yes I am using Windows 7 with service pack 1 and a Nvidia GeForce 6200 AGP graphics card.
I usually experience this error when my computer first starts up and I am still attempting to debug the error with this particular driver. Stay tuned...

I had the same issues with this latest driver version before, but I resolved it by rolling back to an older version and the issue went away, or at least it was rare if it happened at all.

So I suggest you try looking for an older version of your graphics driver package and see if the error goes away.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 22 June 2011 - 05:44 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 xydrothedusk

xydrothedusk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:06 AM

thx man, will try. u think its something where the nividia card isn't fully co-operating with windows 7? b/c i never had this prob until i upgraded....

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:36 PM

You might very well have something there, if you'll notice those drivers are not Windows 7 specific, those same drivers are offered for Windows XP and up, so it is very well possible.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 xydrothedusk

xydrothedusk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

been about a week since i updated win7 with service pack 1, so far no problems, will post a update in about a week.....dunno if it fixed it

#6 xydrothedusk

xydrothedusk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:18 AM

just reverted my computer to vista, computer froze, tried restarting it, screen wouldn't pop up. so when i restored it to vista, it decided to act up not even 20 min after it was done reformatting. so now, in light of the new info, i think the problem is origination from my hard drive itself, might have missing code, might just be that i burned out my graphics card. but i plan on taking it to geek squad and see what i gotta replace, and see if i can upgrade any components, esp the graphics card.

thx for all the help, it was a good shot, but there is nothing more that i can do besides let a profeshional get his hands on it.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:28 AM

<<First, there is no way you can get two separate hard drives to show up as one single hard drive.>>

Well...you can if you invoke a RAID mode of operation...I'm not sure if that is what the OP had in mind.

Not sure why anyone would want a 600GB single partition, rather than a much smaller partition for C:, along with any number of storage partitions.

Louis

#8 xydrothedusk

xydrothedusk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:14 AM

reason why i wanted a bigger C drive is i dun got money to just buy a bigger HD, i've a tendency to fill up 300GB very easily.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:32 AM

If you have two working drives...the space available for storage is the same, whether there is one partition or 20 partitions.

If one drive is full or near-full...it seems that the simple answer is to move data files to the other drive.

Louis

#10 xydrothedusk

xydrothedusk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:08 PM

i could, but i've alrdy done what i could, even had my itunes library(38GB) running off my second hard drive, all my pics vids, and random docs on a 1TB external, and most of the stuff filling my C is programs and stuff...

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:48 AM

Not sure what "stuff" might be...but Windows, programs, and all updates will scarcely fill up a 300GB partition.

Louis

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

The biggest hard drive hogs would be videos in both the .VOB or MPEG formats.

Usually music files saved as MP3 or MP4 do not take up that much hard drive space.

Since we are obviously not speaking about a RAID array with SATA hard drives and you were asking if you could take two separate hard drives of lets assume each was 300 GB and make them one drive of 600 GB, your system will recognize both drives as being separate hard drives and assign different drive letters.

Raid array is usually set up so each hard drive is a mirror image of the first hard drive, the one your boot sector is located on.

If hard drive number 1 loses any data for any unforeseen reason, hard drive 2 will have a back up copy of the lost file.

You should if anything have your largest hard drive or partition set up as your primary drive, then save your files you do not use often to the smaller partition or smaller hard drive.

Now in my case I have Nero 9 and Roxio's VHS TO DVD, I make a lot of videos from home recorded VHS tapes to DVD .VOB format and a few to MP4 format, I have recorded 100's of Vinyl 33 1/3 and 45 RPM records using Roxio's Sound Editor onto my computer, I have a 500 GB Seagate and have scarcely used 175 GB at any given time.
Now that is not including the other 200 programs I have and the computer video games I play to which I always save the game files to my hard drive rather then they solely being used off of the mandatory 'in drive' game disk.

So when you save the game files to hard drive, that to takes a up quite a bit of hard drive space, but again, I have never been past 175 GB with all that stuff I have installed. :wink:

Perhaps you could remove some programs that you do not use often that are just taking up badly needed space.

I for one, have tons of programs installed I never use, but hey, I'm not low on disk space, so I don't worry too much.

In fact I just checked my un-install program list and it states I have 188 programs installed, how many do you think I actually use in a months time? Probably 8, so that means I have 180 rarely used programs on my hard drive. :lol:

You would laugh if you seen my desktop shortcut icon clutter at times I have 200 icons setting there on my desktop.

If you want the desk space, try removing the programs you serious use the least.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 27 June 2011 - 06:03 PM.

#13 xydrothedusk

xydrothedusk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:50 PM

UPDATE

computer is fixed and running great, graphics card was burned out and the DVI port wasn't working at all. New card's specs i will post later if anyone is interested. comp works perfectly now

#14 HiroPro

HiroPro

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

No matter how good a hardware design/technology is it's only as good as the software/driver powering it. I hope and would like to assume you purchased an AMD part? It's funny how video driver stability changes between generations. ATI/AMD used to be the one with screwy drivers and a poor control panel. This has flip flopped over again and now nVidia has the poor driver/software. The new AMD video control panel is FANTASTIC and they have done away with a lot of .net dependencies of the past. Hat's off to the Catalyst Crew and their hard work the last year. You're now on top again!!!

SALUTE!

Edited by HiroPro, 07 August 2011 - 10:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users