Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP will not Update - authomatically or manually

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lsw27

lsw27

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:50 PM

Windows Security is telling me my Automatic Updates are off and I am unable to turn them back on. I get a message saying to go to Systems in Control Panel to change setting. However, in Control Panel Auto Updates are already on.
Tried turning off auto updates in CP and attempting to install manually with no luck. A few other screwy events but trying to stick with one problem at a time as mod suggests. Tried reinstalling IE8 (not sure why) but no change.
Running Windows XP. I am NOT computer savvy so any suggestions need to be spelled out step by step - even the seemingly obvious ones.
I have run Malwarebytes and use Avast Antivirus and MS Security Essentials. A long time ago I ran a program called Tweak now registry cleaner. I confess to being the click-happy and ignorant user in the chair that probably created my problem myself in an effort to keep my PC secure.
Thanks for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

security center reset

Edited by cogs10, 21 June 2011 - 06:34 PM.

#3 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:28 AM

Isw27, which WinXP? Home, Pro, Media Center, etc.? Have you installed Service Pack 3? You need to note that the link provided by cogs10 is a four year old thread and there have been many changes since then, including Service Pack 3 being released.

According to your post, you are running MSE and Avast, two anti-virus programs which will cause conflicts. You should remove one or the other. Or disable Avast to see if that is causing the conflict.

Rosie

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users