Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Selling A Laptop - How Do I "clean" It?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JimB

JimB

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:02 AM

I am selling a laptop computer and I have a technical question.

I will be removing my personal documents, files, etc. of course prior-to selling for obvious security/personal reasons, but I want to make sure all of these, as well as internet history, temp. files, cookies, etc. are deleted. I know how to erase via the Internet Explorer via the TOOLS -> INTERNET OPTIONS ->GENERAL TAB, but is there a way to get a "deeper cleaning?"

I would like to wipe it clean, less the FORMAT drill so things like my credit card number or other personal info pops up down the road in someone else's hands, while retaining the software that's already loaded on there.

Is there a good recommended wipe program or method to erase tracks and documents on the computer?

Thanks much in advance - Jim

Mod Edit - Topic Moved to appropriate forum - Leurgy

Edited by Leurgy, 09 January 2006 - 03:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:13 PM

What kind of laptop is this? Make and model number would be good.

I would like to wipe it clean, less the FORMAT drill

Does that mean you do or you don't want to format?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:46 PM

I think he wants to make it so that whatever os is loaded and the programs stay, but all his personal data goes.

Id reccomend crap cleaner from ccleaner.com After its run, simply check every box and area for it to clean and say goodbye to all of it. The easiest way of course would be a format. There are programs like webroot windows washer, that completely destory all slack space and files like that. But those cost money.

#4 JimB

JimB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 03:50 PM

It's a Gateway... about 3 years old.
I would like to retain all the XP stuff. I bought it used, so I do not have the discs to reformat and reload, so yes - a good wipe off all the behind the scenes stuff I don't want to share with the new owner.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:17 PM

According to Gateway:

What is Gateway System Recovery?

Gateway System Recovery is a media-less delivery method for software purchased with a Gateway product, including desktop, notebook, and Profile computers shipping with Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). With a media-less computer, you now have all of your drivers, applications, and operating system backup files installed on a protected recovery partition of your hard drive.

This is why I asked for the Model Number.

How can I tell if my computer shipped with a Gateway System Recovery solution?

If you have that option you can do a Destructive Recovery and return the Laptop to its factory condition.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:20 PM

well it's totally your call of course >>>> but me personally I would wipe it clean with dariks boot & nuke (free) and let the new owner get his own copy of windows xp

you are taking a big chance to save someone else a few bucks !! any other means of deleting your PERSONAL info can be "undone" with recovery sotware that RECOVERS deleted files !!

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

regards

joe

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:00 PM

Use the Drive Wipe utility in Digtal Dolly. The Quick Pass will write over you data once. The DoD Pass will write over it 7 times. If you are Black Helicopter paranoid there is the Gutman Pass that will over write you data 38 times.
A format only removes references to the data. It is still there if you know how to recover it, atleast till it is over written. By over writing the data it chances the data. Once over written several times it cannot be recovered(in theroy).
Digtal Dolly is a stand alone program that needs no OS to work.
FYI..On a medium size drive the Gutman will take about 48 to 72 hours. Depending on the processor.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 JimB

JimB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:32 PM

Folks -- thanks much. Good info here. I appreciate it. - Jim

#9 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:41 AM

Hello, I could not help but to insert a good point here. THe operating system is Windows XP and actually it does not matter what legal OS is in the computer if it is registed to the person who owns the system it is actually his property even though Microsoft or the manufacturer of the computer Ex. Gateway. Since it is registered to this person the only legal way to sell this computer with the operating system still intact and working is if all of the documentation and disks for re-installing or recovering go with the computer. Check this out in the licensing agreement with the OS. If you do not have the Windows OS disk whether OEM or reinstall the only option you really have is to "FORMAT" the drive(s) and I would suggest one of the secure format programs or formatting atleast 10 times just to be safe. A good hacked can get information out of a newly formatted hard drive easily.

Yo whom it may concern Please re-FORMAT.

Hope this jelps

cya l8r

ThorXP

#10 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:41 PM

i would personally use Privacy Guardian or to really get rid of all of it use Darik's Boot and Nuke.

youll find them if u google them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users