Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode Won't Network

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 winigo

winigo

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:53 AM

on windows XP Proffessional SP2 :

I'm trying to scan for malware & trojans in Safe mode.
(I ran all sort of software on normal mode but malware is still present),
and -by the way i have a HJT log waiting for analysis in the appropriate forum)

Although i press on Safe mode with networking, i cannot access the internet.
i can access Outlook, but i have to confirm connectiion password everytime,
(the setting won't remember the password).

Even so, i still can't access the internet through or outside Outlook.
--my connection settings SEEMS normal..

I was able to not so long ago. I also tried as administrator,
i could access once, then not since. This is not a shared computer.

any suggestions?
w.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:50 AM

Hi winigo

We need to take care of any problems first via the HJT log that you have posted before some of the others
that you've noted in your two threads can be successfully addressed.

I'm going to close this topic for now and we can reopen it after the HJT log is reviewed if necessary.

Regards,
KoanYorel
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:45 PM

Hi winigo,

Now that we know your PC is malware free, I've reopened this topic. Let's keep it on the subject of Safe mode with networking.

As I mentioned in your HJT thread, there is not much of a reason to go into safe mode with networking and it is only available for certain OS's and setups. There is not much information that I could find researching the web. I do know it is only availabel for XP and 2000--but XP Pro, not Home, and it may be that it is available for 2000 Pro only also.

I also heard somewhere that one must be set up with DSL for networking to work in safe mode. Since you're on cable that might be why you can't get it to work. Or it may be because of you hardware setup and configuration.

If anyone knows exactly what Safe mode with networking is limited to and how to achieve it, I hope they will post here as I can't be much more help than that.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:24 AM

Safe Mode with Networking loads the normal Safe Mode setup and then adds the networking drivers to it.

I've used it (once only) successfully with XPPro and a cable modem without any problems at all.

But, I do notice a problem with connections if I disable a bunch of services when installing a program (y'know - the one's that say "stop all running Windows programs" before you install this). And it generally requires a reboot to get it up and running again. I'm sorry to say that I haven't researched this problem.

So, I suspect that there is a driver/service that isn't operating in Safe Mode that will affect your connection. I'd suggest printing a list of the services that are running on your system in regular mode - and comparing it to those running while you're in Safe Mode. There may be an internet aware application that isn't loading - but is needed to establish the connection.

If the inability to access Safe Mode with Networking is your only problem - I'd (if it were my PC) just live with it. If not, then I'd suggest running the System File Checker - and if that didn't work, then I'd go with a repair install of Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:57 AM

I use it to run my AV and AS program in safe mode with networking so they can update prior to running. In one case it was the only way I could download and run HJT without transferring to disk then to the other computer.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:03 AM

I seem to remember that there was a problem of this sort with AVG a long time ago (service wouldn't run in Safe Mode) - don't know if it's relevant, so I thought that I'd mention it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 winigo

winigo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:10 PM

possibly has to do with the cable,
but as many contributors said its not really needed in my case,
i thought it better to scan for malware in that mode (online scans)

IT did work a couple of times before though, its not that it never worked.
also outlook asks for password settings everytime you start it in this mode, does not remember the settings.
But i have so many other things to do that are more pressing that i will not investigate further unless necessary..

but anyone else is welcome to contribute on this, i will keep reading

winigo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users