Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xbox 360

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zulith Lopez

Zulith Lopez

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:32 PM

How can i take out the red ring of death from the xbox 360?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

A Red Ring of Death (RROD) indicates a fundamental failure in the 360's system. You cannot fix this on your own; you will need to contact Microsoft for repairs. Any attempt to self-fix will almost certainly void your warranty and may pose risk of harm to you, your property, or others.

Edited by Blade Zephon, 21 June 2011 - 04:41 PM.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 DalookaAMD

DalookaAMD

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:17 PM

Blade, just wondering. Isn't it usally caused by poor ventilation or the CPU is just loose?
STORE PERSONNEL: May I help you?
YOU: I'm looking for a "hard drive" with plenty of "RAM" in the "megahertz."
STORE PERSONNEL: You want the computer store next door. This is a supermarket.
YOU: Let me see your "zucchini."

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:30 PM

Depending on the quadrants that are lit, it can mean different things.

The famed RROD is all but the lower right quadrant lit. It means "General Hardware Failure"

Overheating has a different error pattern.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

Overheating is a flashing full red ring (all 4 sections), unit will remain powered on with only fans running, Optical Drive failure is a black screen with white writing (similar to a BSOD), all others cause the traditional player 4 unit RROD.

I went through 4 Xbox 360's last year. I've seen almost everything the system can throw at users, Optical Drive dropped into the case on the first (that was fun to get my game out), second was a constant overheat due to bad fans, third the power brick failed, and the fourth was a general failure (unknown cause to me).

Words of advice, buy re manned, get the 1 yr extended warranty, and burn 'em up. My local Gamestop's know me well they see me with my laptop bag the managers walk back and get me another system.

Posted Image

#6 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:37 PM

Here's a chart that applies to the original 360.

The codes have changed in later models, and the latest model abandons the ring codes altogether.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Xbox_360_Error_codes.svg

Edited by Blade Zephon, 23 June 2011 - 07:38 PM.

Posted Image

Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#7 DalookaAMD

DalookaAMD

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:32 PM

Overheating is a flashing full red ring (all 4 sections), unit will remain powered on with only fans running, Optical Drive failure is a black screen with white writing (similar to a BSOD), all others cause the traditional player 4 unit RROD.

I went through 4 Xbox 360's last year. I've seen almost everything the system can throw at users, Optical Drive dropped into the case on the first (that was fun to get my game out), second was a constant overheat due to bad fans, third the power brick failed, and the fourth was a general failure (unknown cause to me).

Words of advice, buy re manned, get the 1 yr extended warranty, and burn 'em up. My local Gamestop's know me well they see me with my laptop bag the managers walk back and get me another system.

Yea, I have only had it happen two times One was the over heating issue do to bad fans and the other was the cpu. Both of those where first generation 360's. I haven't had a problem with my Elite (Yet)
STORE PERSONNEL: May I help you?
YOU: I'm looking for a "hard drive" with plenty of "RAM" in the "megahertz."
STORE PERSONNEL: You want the computer store next door. This is a supermarket.
YOU: Let me see your "zucchini."

#8 whathuhitwasntme

whathuhitwasntme

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

if your xbox 360 is out of warranty which most all of the original certainly are
there are several mod shops out there that offer bga re-balling, basically its
stripping the xbox down to the mother board
and then using a hot air an infrared soldering station to reflow the solder under
the cpu on the motherboard. It is the typical reason for failure in these older generation
xbox 360's. A custom heatsinc clamp is usually offered as well to help keep this from
reoccurring. most of the better shops are typically under 100 dollars for the repair
and usually offer between 30-90 day warranties.

I also happen to know a place you can purchase a used complete 360(console,power brick, an controller) for under 100 dollars
but again, you may end up rite back in the same position quickly.
You, yes YOU! STAND STILL WITH IT! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users