Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista restore

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 interd0g

interd0g

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:36 PM

Here is my problem. A Vista laptop failed but I had a recent backup on ext HD.
I restored to another Vista PC. So far so good. I used the advanced restore ( from another computer)option.
The user account on the old computer was \ Ann .

So all the files from the dead computer showed up in users\Ann on the new PC- they are there. Good.
And I created a new account on the new PC called Ann

But the user Ann account just acts brand new with no content other than the pre arranged minimum you get from Windows.?? Ann user does not relate to the content of users\ann at all.

(One more symptom. During the first attempt at restore it said something about no appropriate account / security to match the backup set on the BU HD.) It told me to create an account with illegal format " janes-PC\Ann". This can't be done so I called the account Ann.
After I created user Ann that stopped happening on the next retore.)

How does all the stuff in users/ ann get to actually appear on ann desktop, favorites and everything?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 interd0g

interd0g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:32 AM

Hi - talking to myself - meet a better class of person.
For others - it seems the problem with RESTORE from hd backup of old computer is somewhere in the computer names.
The username in NEW will be different because it is preceded by the computer name e.g. Janes-PC/Jane
The new destination computer name will be different. So here is the problem - I still haven't solved it except by trying to copy over everyting from users/name to
\name

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users