Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Dell D820 Laptop has got the blue screen of death, I need help.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 john432

john432

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

My Dell D820 Laptop has the blue screen of death. I can't boot into windows. I can't even use any of the options such as safe mode and networking because it will bring me to the blue screen. Here's what it says: ***Stop: 0x0000007B(0xF79E1524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)Run CHKDSk/F.

What should I do? I think this means that I have a corrupted file on my hard disk drive. I don't think it's necessary for me to reinstall windows xp. I hope not. I didn't create any backup files unfortunately. I would like to try to repair this first. Any suggestions???

Edited by john432, 21 June 2011 - 02:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:01 AM

Hi again,

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

• Insert the CD you just created into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

• If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your XP-CD.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • When prompted to choose a windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
  • When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

• A command prompt will open
Type chkdsk /r and press enter.

Note, this may take a long time, and the scan progress may seem to "jump back" (for example from 72% to 54%), this is normal. Please wait until the disk check finishes.

When done, let me know what was returned (you'll see a few lines saying how many sectors were scanned, what was repaired and so on).

After that, type exit and press enter.

Let me know if you notice any change.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 john432

john432
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

Hi again,

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.

• Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

• Insert the CD you just created into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

• If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your XP-CD.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • When prompted to choose a windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
  • When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

• A command prompt will open
Type chkdsk /r and press enter.

Note, this may take a long time, and the scan progress may seem to "jump back" (for example from 72% to 54%), this is normal. Please wait until the disk check finishes.

When done, let me know what was returned (you'll see a few lines saying how many sectors were scanned, what was repaired and so on).

After that, type exit and press enter.

Let me know if you notice any change.

I already have a windows xp pro cd. I already did what you suggested and used the chkdsk repair. I've even used the fixmbr and fixboot commands and that didn't work either. What else can I do? Do I have no choice but to reinstall windows? Please tell me there's some other way.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,316 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:10 AM

Do you remember what happened before all this started?

Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Next download driver.sh to your USB drive
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • Gently tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Confirm that you see driver.sh that you downloaded there
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type bash driver.sh
  • Press Enter
  • After it has finished a report will be located on your USB drive named report.txt
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to report.txt

Please note - all text entries are case sensitive
Copy and paste the report.txt for my review

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 john432

john432
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:42 PM

It all started when I opened an unknown email in my inbox, I foolishly clicked on a link just out of curiousity and this phony antispyware called Antispyware 2011 is actually a virus in disguise. I found out that this virus downloads without my consent and pretends to be an antivirus software which claims that I have many infections. I immediately searched through the internet to get rid of this and I downloaded a free trial version of Spywaredoctor 2010 with antivirus that specifically deals with viruses like these. It can only contain the virus, not get rid of it. So I bought the full version off of ebay. When I finally got it mailed to me, I decided to uninstall the trial version before I install the full version from the CD. During the process of uninstallation the blue screen came up. I really fear for the worst. I hope this isn't as bad as I fear it to be. I don't want to lose all of my work. Just when I was about to fix this problem, the blue screen of death came up at the worst possible time. Talk about really bad timing and luck.

The problem here is I can't download anything if I can't log into my windows account. When I turn my laptop on, I get the black screen with options such as safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, safe mode with networking and etc. I tried each of them and they direct me to the blue screen.

What are your suggestions? What should I do?

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,316 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:04 PM

You need to create the CD on a working computer first and then boot the infected computer from it as instructed.

regards, Elise

#7 john432

john432
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

would a repair install work? Or if I use the recovery console again, are there any commands that I should use?

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,316 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

A repair installation might or might not work depending a bit on the cause. There are no commands we can use in the RC right now. I asked you to create the xPUD CD and run the driver.sh script in order to see a list of drivers on your computer that may help diagnosing the problem.

regards, Elise

#9 john432

john432
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:45 PM

A repair installation might or might not work depending a bit on the cause. There are no commands we can use in the RC right now. I asked you to create the xPUD CD and run the driver.sh script in order to see a list of drivers on your computer that may help diagnosing the problem.

I understand what you said before, the problem is I have only one laptop and no desktop. My local library has a firewall setup and won't allow me to download anything. I'll see what I can do to create the xPUD CD.

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,316 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:36 PM

In that case you can first try the Repair installation as it may be simpler.

regards, Elise

#11 john432

john432
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:59 PM

I know doing repair install won't get rid of this malware/virus. But will it at least let me boot into windows in any mode? That is the main goal. If I can do that, I will download rkill and malwarebytes in some safe mode and get rid of this threat. Or will it work if I download the two softwares off another computer using a burned CD or USB flash drive and boot it to my infected laptop? What do you think?

Edited by john432, 24 June 2011 - 01:07 PM.

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,316 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:24 PM

I think a repair install is quite likely to fix the issue here, as it is most likely a missing or corrupt driver, which will be replaced on the repair installation.

regards, Elise

#13 john432

john432
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:36 PM

During the process of repair installation, I get a pop-up saying I need to insert 'the Compact Disc labeled Microsoft UAA BUS Driver for High Definition Audio, Insert Installation disk #1 into your CD ROM drive and then click OK. This doesn't make sense at all. This file can only be downloaded through the internet, I think. There is no CD that I know of. What do I do? I can't boot into Windows because I'm in the middle of going through the repair process.

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,316 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:55 PM

Can you skip the step and continue? Or, if you have it, insert the drivers CD you got with your computer and find the file there. Skipping this should not cause issues, it may only break your audio, which is easily fixed.

regards, Elise

#15 john432

john432
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 02:17 PM

How do I skip it? I can't even move my cursor. My laptop was refurbished. It didn't came with a drivers CD. Is it possible for me to get one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users