Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavillion dv9700 wont start up

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MysterioMask

MysterioMask

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:25 PM

I was given an HP Pavillion dv9700 to look at, when i press the button it looks like its about to power on then shuts off after about a second or 2. Thats about all the info i can give you right now sorry. Ive pulled the harddrive out and tried to power it on and still nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:30 PM

Power supply, motherboard, cpu, ram - almost certainly one of them.

#3 MysterioMask

MysterioMask
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:33 PM

I believe the processor and ram are fine, well i know for certain the ram is good

#4 MysterioMask

MysterioMask
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:03 AM

Where is the power supply in this? is it easily removeable like in a desktop or am i going to have to replace the entire motherboard?

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3632106

I suggest taking it to an authorized repair facility, if you want hardware checked out.

Louis

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:15 AM

I'll go one step further if it has an AMD processor and Nvidia video it is quite likely the motherboard as that is an infamous combination in the HP DV series. Do some searches on the internet. There was a warranty extension on many DV series that is now expired.

If you were also having trouble with the wireless on one of the DV series that is another sign. They overheated easy if the heatsink was not kept clean or if they were used on a soft surface that blocked the air inlet on the bottom.

The AMD based models exhibited this problem the most as they run hotter to start.

For example
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/tag/dv9700/tg-p/tag-id/1631/board-id/Display
http://www.nvidiadefect.com/hp-pavilion-dv9700-problems-help-t363.html

From here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/51641-35-dv9700

Has anyone been able to get a fix for this yet? I have an HP dv9700 and one day it was working fine, the next when I turned it on the fan spins and all lights come on for approx 1 second and then all shuts down again. I have tried removing the battery and holding the power button but didn't make a difference. It is no longer under warranty, but isn't quite 3 yrs old yet and shouldn't be having this much trouble especially seeing that so many people have the exact same issue. I saw something about the NVidea card being an issue? Please help if you can. I can't afford to get a new one and I practically live on my laptop. This really sucks.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:38 PM

I believe the processor and ram are fine, well i know for certain the ram is good

ram may be fine but it never hurts to pull it out and re-seat them

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#9 MysterioMask

MysterioMask
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

To allen, thats video is of a desktop computer, im working on a laptop.

The warrenty for the laptop has expired to my knowledge.

I reseated the ram and that didnt fix the problem.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:18 PM

Sorry - when you asked what the power supply is...... anyway, the power supply is the brick with the attached power cord. But I did not realize it was a laptop, so forget that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users