Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 and Screen Saver

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

I have my screen saver set at 15 minutes. I first noticed something odd this past weekend. The screen saver was on when I drifted off to the land of sweet dreams. Sometime during the night I woke up, looked across the room, and I saw my desktop.

Other than thinking "why do I see my desktop" I thought nothing else about it.

Since then I have actually seen the screen saver disappear and my desktop appear. I was on the other side of the room, not on the computer, the mouse did not get moved, and nothing happened that would cause this.

I've not been able to figure out why all of a sudden the desktop would appear. Does anyone have any clues that might explain this or suggestions on what I can do to keep the screen saver on until I want to go to my desktop?

edit to add: After I made my post earlier, I noticed that after a while the screen saver would come back on and stay on a while before going back to the desktop. It's caught in a loop of going back and forth. In the grand scheme of things, this is not a biggie but I'd still like to know why this is happening.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 21 June 2011 - 10:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:02 AM

That's a new one Queen-Evie. I know you have already checked your settings. The only thing I can think of is that something you have set scheduled to do a scan or a program is checking for updates. You could also unplug you keyboard and mouse and see if it still happens. Their could be a circuit in either one of them with a little problem that could cause that to happen.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:13 AM

1) Check scheduled tasks

2) As suggested above, check settings in av, defrag, backup, etc to make sure they aren't set to run in the background

3) Try a clean boot (msconfig selective startup) and see if the same thing happens

Edited by Allan, 22 June 2011 - 08:15 AM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:21 PM

No scans or updates are scheduled.

I'll have to try clean boot later.

There are, however, 37 active tasks that are currently enabled and have not expired listed under Active Tasks.

33 of them list Location as Windows\Microsoft\various file names.

Location for the other 4 have only \ and nothing else.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

This evening I was finally able to document the following:

7:10 Screensaver

7:25 Desktop came back up

7:40 Screensaver

7:55 Desktop

8:05 Screensaver

8:25 Desktop at this point I got back on the pc

#6 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:10 PM

Check in My Computer>properties>device manager>network adapter. There is a setting that may be checked under properties>power management that allows your machine to be wakened by the LAN. It could be that your antivirus is checking for updates and triggering the WOL.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:24 AM

Have you tried a clean boot yet?

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

Check in My Computer>properties>device manager>network adapter. There is a setting that may be checked under properties>power management that allows your machine to be wakened by the LAN. It could be that your antivirus is checking for updates and triggering the WOL.

What is checked is "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

The other option is "Allow this device to wake the computer". It is grayed out and if I wanted to check it I can't.

I'm not convinced that it is Eset looking for updates. I've had Eset for several months and until a week ago never had this issue.

Have you tried a clean boot yet?

I tried it about 2 hours ago and no change. The computer still went through the constant changing from screensaver to desktop to screensaver and back to desktop.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 June 2011 - 02:00 PM.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

I tried it about 2 hours ago and no change. The computer still went through the constant changing from screensaver to desktop to screensaver and back to desktop.

Then my guess would be either something in scheduled tasks (or a program set to run in the background) or malware. Clearly just a guess, but I'm not sure what else it could be.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:33 PM

I don't have any scheduled tasks set up.

There is a possibility it could be a program set to run in the background but I doubt it. I didn't change anything, no new programs installed, no new hardware.

I've scanned for malware and viruses and nothing was found.

Since this is annoying and I can't figure out what's going on I'll cut to the chase and do a clean install of Win 7 in the not to distant future. I don't like to spend a boatload of time dealing with issues so a reinstall of the OS would be quicker and a better use of my time.

Hopefully an OS reinstall will resolve the issue.

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:15 PM

Perhaps this may help: Lastwake Command http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/122012-lastwake-command.html?filter

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

Lastwake Command shows only this when I use it:

C:\Users\Evie>powercfg lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 1
Wake Source [0]
Type: Device
Instance Path: USB\ROOT_HUB\4&34aece3e&0
Friendly Name:
Description: USB Root Hub
Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users