Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have been disinfected!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 forgiven57

forgiven57

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:17 PM

Hello All!

I am not counted among the great digital brain trust. So I came humbly, not to share knowledge but to absorb it (if possible). I joined yesterday because someone on the Toshiba forums suggested I come here to solve my problem. And I have been healed.

I stepped in some rogue fake anti-virus and it sunk it's teeth into my Toshiba Satellite L505.
It even beat down my anti-virus software (MS Security Essentials) so badly that it was totally un-runable after I killed and uprooted the malware. Oddly enough, there was enough of it left so that I had to uninstall MSSE and reinstall it.

I checked out RKill and it seemed like part one of the answer. And thanks to Grinler, I knew that part 2 was getting a good anti-malware program. Since I am not computer-wise I read until I understood that RKill would stop the processes of the rogue and that I would still have to pry it out of the old Tosh.

Well RKill worked wonderfully. I got meself a download of Malwarebytes and now the old Tosh is fit as a fiddle.

Thanks so much for your bleeping good help! I really thought I was done for... Gigabytes of goodwill at ya!

- Paul

Edit: Moved topic from Am I infected? What do I do? to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
Posted Image

John 11:40

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:28 PM

Thank you for your kind words. It is words such as yours that keep us doing what we do.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 forgiven57

forgiven57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

Thanks very much. Sorry about that annoying posting in the wrong place thing. :whistle:
Posted Image

John 11:40

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:54 PM

"I have been disinfected!"

Cool. :thumbup2:

Now we can work on your computer!

Ba, dum bum!

:)

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 CF425

CF425

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:15 PM

This site is AMAZING. I literally cried today after getting rid of the redirect problem. Thank you, thank you, thank you. First time user, lifetime fan!!.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users