Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Up Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PCNoob19

PCNoob19

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

Hi all! I am having a problem with my computer right now where it will not turn on. The computer worked fine last night, but I woke up this morning and it won't boot up. The power LED on the motherboard is green and the power LED on the powersupply is orange (so it is in stand by). I can hear the power supply power up when I plug it in and I can subsequently hear it power down when I unplug the cord, so I know that there is at least some activity in there. I just can't seem to get it out of stand by. I have tried reseating the front panel connectors and holding the power button, i have even tried taking them off completely and using my screwdriver and putting it in between the two pins to jump start it, but to no avail. the power supply stays in stand by and the rest of the computer won't turn on.

Here's my computer's recent history:

About two months ago my computer stopped powering all the way down. The OS would exit and my monitor would shut off, but the power supply and the case fans and everything were still on. I had to hold my power button or actually go in the back and flip the power supply switch to power it all the way down.

About a month ago, one of the case fans started spinning very slowly, and another one next to it started spinning very fast. This created a verrrryy loud noise. Since the case was about 6 or 7 years old, I figured that it was faulty wiring or something like that. I had hoped that this would explain why it wouldn't power down and why the fans were messed up. I thought that the wires or connectors had gotten degraded to send out a signal to constantly turn the computer on or to constantly speed up the fans. I ordered a new thermaltake case about two weeks ago. I reinstalled all my components into the new case and got some new case fans, and everything was fine. The computer still didn't power all the way down, but everything else functioned as expected.

Now, last night I was gaming on the computer and was about to go to bed. I shut down the OS and waited for it to boot all the way down and for my monitor to shut off. Then I went and flipped the switch on the back of the power supply to "O". When I woke up this morning i flipped the switch back to "I" and pressed the power button on the front of the computer. This is what I have been doing for the past two weeks and it has been working, but now it doesn't do anything when I press the power button. As I said above, I have made sure that all wires are properly connected and I have even tried manually going in and turning it on, with no success.

I have been custom building my own PCs for 7 or so years now and it seems to me like this is either a power supply problem or a motherboard problem. Can you guys help me decide which? I am very tight on funds right now and can't afford to upgrade my whole system, so I really hope its just the power supply. The green LED on the motherboard stays lit when I have the PS plugged in, so I am thinking that the motherboard is functioning. Are there any other indications that would tell me? Why would the power supply just stay in stand by? Is there some method of taking it out of stand by?

Thanks for any advice

Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jamesujjwal

jamesujjwal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:56 AM

I would suggest you that you may contact with any hardware engineer. They may solve the problem.

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:22 AM

I would start with simple things first. Sound like a power supply to me. If the cost isn't to high you can have your local computer store check your power supply with a tester. Mine charges me nothing. Of course if it's bad they except me to buy from them. Which I do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users