Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does My Dell Dimension Support 2TB Hard Drives?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mfc90125

mfc90125

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

Greetings,

I would like to max out the space on my Dell Dimension 4550 - I've been told that this unit might not accept partitions above 1TB. Here are my specs:
- Dell Dimension 4550
- 2 GB RAM
- Running two 300Gb drives, one 18.5 drive (OS), all internal
- Sony DVD+DL Burner
- Two external drives

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Matt

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lugscar

Lugscar

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:33 PM

From Dell's website:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/specs.htm#1103261

States that the internal drives are IDE.

Can't recall ever seeing an IDE 1TB Drive. So more than likely not something you can do unless you get an external USB drive.

The OS shouldn't have any issue recognizing a 1TB partition.

Edited by Lugscar, 21 June 2011 - 12:36 PM.

#3 mfc90125

mfc90125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:12 PM

Lug, thanks for this information. While you are correct that no one makes a 1TB IDE drive, I have purchased IDE-to-SATA adapters which work really well.

The question still remains: will the Dell even allow a 2TB to be read and fully partitioned as one drive? Couldn't find that info from the link you provided.

Thanks again, Lug.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:56 PM

It should be able to.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

Unless you have a really old motherboard...it's Windows that determines support for hard drive as far as native recognition of full size.

Since SP1 of XP and use of LBA...there is little reason for hard drive size to ever be a consideration when running Windows.

Why would anyone...want a 2TB partition? It's ineffective use of the hard drive space, increases the chances of total loss when something goes wrong with the partition, drive or file system, it hinders successful, timely use of Windows tools like chkdsk and defrag.

Also...using a SATA drive on a system that does not support SATA...it works but there is a loss of efficiency. I would suggest just acquiring a PCI SATA controller card and attaching the SATA drive to it to maximize the benefits of SATA.

Example: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1281807&CatId=1455

...and using a controller card completely avoids any concerns about your system being able to recognize a large SATA drive.

Louis

#6 whathuhitwasntme

whathuhitwasntme

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:30 AM

you would be better served just getting an external for now,
if your pc is that old that this is a genuine concern, its
probably not much longer for service. By using an external drive you
will save yourself the headaches of migrating the data later, and avoid
most of these issues.
a 1 tb drive can be had off newegg starting at 57 dollars and up from that price
You, yes YOU! STAND STILL WITH IT! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:11 AM

you would be better served just getting an external for now,
probably not much longer for service. By using an external drive you
will save yourself the headaches of migrating the data later, and avoid
most of these issues.
a 1 tb drive can be had off newegg starting at 57 dollars and up from that price

You do have a very good point there and i would agree with you on that, i would say it is also cheaper to do it this way.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 mfc90125

mfc90125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:45 AM

Thanks everyone for their help with this. The Dell has actually become a mediaserver for my house, which I use to stream media to my HTPC in my livingroom and other endpoints. I also use it for Vuze. I wanted to maximize its efficiency by enclosing as many high-capacity drives as possible so its usefullness could be extended. Several of the USB's are only 1.1 so transfer rates (especially for streaming movies) would be limited, which is why I never considered external drives. Also, the increasing amount of power cords one would need to externalize the process would be problematic.

This may sound like a sophomoric question/comment, but I thought the only reason you ever wanted to partition a drive was to separate your data. I was told that if a drive fails, any partition could also fail, and that if I wanted to RAID I would need two separate drives. Could anyone verify that?

Thanks again.

#9 whathuhitwasntme

whathuhitwasntme

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

your just helping prove the point for
an external hard drive. I honestly think
it would be your best bet, then if the entire pc was to
crash, your saved data would be external and unaffected
You, yes YOU! STAND STILL WITH IT! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

RAID would need 2 seperate drives.

>Michael 

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

Several of the USB's are only 1.1 so transfer rates (especially for streaming movies) would be limited, which is why I never considered external drives.

There's also the eSATA option (which I use), instead of USB.
If you don't have any available external eSATA ports, you could use a eSATA Controller Adapter Card.

Another thing to consider when using large drives, they generate a LOT of heat, so if your case doesn't have exceptional cooling, external would be your best option.
I'm running 5 120mm fans, and my 2 1TB internal drives are running at 48C.
One of my external enclosures is presently holding 2 1TB drives at 37C each.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2011 - 01:04 AM

Several of the USB's are only 1.1 so transfer rates (especially for streaming movies) would be limited, which is why I never considered external drives.

There's also the eSATA option (which I use), instead of USB.
If you don't have any available external eSATA ports, you could use a eSATA Controller Adapter Card.

Another thing to consider when using large drives, they generate a LOT of heat, so if your case doesn't have exceptional cooling, external would be your best option.
I'm running 5 120mm fans, and my 2 1TB internal drives are running at 48C.
One of my external enclosures is presently holding 2 1TB drives at 37C each.

Man your hard drive runs pretty hot, it's time for you to buy a hard drive cooler.

>Michael 

#13 whathuhitwasntme

whathuhitwasntme

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:49 PM

they actually make a external hard drive that has RAID enabled, its 2 500gb(normally, you may find larger) in an
enclosure in Raid array of your choice, some even offer hot swap

#14 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:47 PM

Several of the USB's are only 1.1

That is strange. My parents have a Dimension 4550 and it has nothing but USB 2.0 ports.

I would also use some kind of external drive. The front panel doesn't allow much air to pass over the hard drives. The computer runs warm as well because of Dell's great idea to not place a fan on the CPU heatsink.

probably not much longer for service

This computer should be able to run until the capacitors fail on the motherboard and power supply (or both, in the case of my parents' computer) or the CPU becomes too slow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users