Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

reformatting computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:16 PM

I have a computer with windows xp professional Edition which was infected with a rogue virus. I was able to remove this virus, however it infected the registry. All the periferals were disabled included the cd-rom, network drivers, processor drivers. I ended up deciding to reformat the computer. It has raid 0, with 2 hard drives.

When I formated it I got a BSOD 0x0000007b. I put in the raid controller driver on a floppy drive. I was looking online for any solution to this problem, I found a few but nothing that would help me resolve the problem.

This is a 7 year old computer but I'm used to it and do not want to buy a new computer.

I am hoping someone has experienced a similar problem and can tell me how to fix it :)

I ran a chkdsk on the hard drive, they were fine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:40 PM

System manufacturer and model?

What exact steps did you take to reformat/reinstall Windows?

Do you have a MS Genuine XP CD sold by Microsoft?

Louis

#3 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

Dell XPS GEN3 (7 years old)
Certified Windows Installation Disk
put in raid controller floopy with installation disk
after formatting got BSOD

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

See http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm for detailed generic info on STOP error 7B.

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

Did you follow the instructions starting on Page 19 at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimxpsg3/en/OM/j3186A01.pdf for setting up the RAID ?

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dimxpsg3/SM/syssetup.htm#wp1052337, from what I see...there is no need to install the SATA drivers when installing Windows, depending on what RAID options you chose.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2011 - 01:13 PM.

#5 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

Somehow when a did a full install (not quick) it went through the installation. The computer's hard drives are mirrored however in the admin. tools only c shows up. Is it possible one of the drives went bad? How can I verify this? When the computer starts up, it only has raid_volume 0. the drives are 0 and 2.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:49 PM

<<Is it possible one of the drives went bad?>>

Of course, it's possible...drives go bad every day, some new ones even arrive DOA.

<<How can I verify this?>>

Run the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility for that drive...run the long test.

<<When the computer starts up, it only has raid_volume 0. the drives are 0 and 2.>>

If you had answered my questions about your following the manuals for your system...that would be more useful than what you just stated. A RAID 0 reflects 2 (or more) drives as one volume.

What are the stated sizes of your two hard drives...and what is the total volume reflected in Windows for the hard drive...when you attempt your install?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2011 - 04:51 PM.

#7 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

Actually I did read the manual, thank you for sending the link. It didn't have that much about mirrored drives, however I read how to activate the hyperthreading. Somehow I thought I would see both of the mirrored drives in admin. tools. I admit I need to study the manual further. I'm excited that I was able to install the os :thumbup2: :clapping:

#8 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

Duh, raid 0 doesnt mean port 0, its a type of raid. My brain isn't funtioning, I need to reformat :wacko:

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:59 PM

We'll try to help, ask if you have questions :).

But the Dell documentation is a good source of info for your system...always.

Louis

#10 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:31 PM

Your right, I should have gone on the dell site and printed the documentation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users