Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not boot up under any mode.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 trogdor458

trogdor458

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:52 AM

Hopefully this isn't too wordy...
It started yesterday when my computer randomly shut down (very quickly). I had not installed anything, and the computer didn't overheat, I was just watching videos. When I started it back up, it was unable to boot correctly, and went straight to startup repair, which did nothing (it did say ci.dll was corrupt).

After some messing around, I finally got it past the login screen with the mode "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement", but it would shut down shortly after my IMs loaded. Finally, it started working normally by starting in this mode and disabling the wireless abilities. I could still get online with a cable.

I ran a virus scan using avg and malwarebytes, but little showed up. Then, after doing some reading I thought I might've been infected with tdl4/alureon/etc. or some variant (my google pages were being redirected), and got Hitman Pro to try and fix the problem (I heard it could)

Then at some random point again, my computer shut down, and will not start in any mode! It will shutdown and reboot right at the beginning, and will not even make it to startup repair unless I make it do so. I can access the cmd now (it crashed previously) from the startup repair tools, so that's currently my only option to do repairs

What should I do? I think my mbr may be pretty messed up. I am using a Gateway laptop.

It now says "A patch is preventing the system from starting"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:59 AM

Added to BC Unbootable (Due To Malware) List, someone should assist you today/tomorrow :).

Louis

#3 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 12:50 PM

Hi trogdor458,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. I shall assist you with the issue.

For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt
[*]Select Command Prompt
[*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
[*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
[*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
[*]In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
[*]The tool will start to run.
[*]When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
[*]Press Scan button.
[*]It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.[/list]

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

Hello, just letting you know I moved this topic to Here in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logss forum where it will stay.

Please remember to click the Watch Topic button at the top right and select Immediate Notification so you do not miss any replies now that you were moved.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Farbar

Farbar

Just Curious

• Security Developer
  • 21,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:32 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days. Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users