Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Main world problem

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:57 AM

Practically all my life, I have believed, that the main problem with the human race is that there are too many of us. I have always wondered why so many people jump up and down at the idea of kerbing the enormously rising birth rate. If the earth's population was a quarter of it's size, many of our problems would not be here. I'm not suggesting a cull. As an old man I would be one of the first to go. What is wrong with birth control? There would have to be safeguards to keep the races, for want of a better word, in the same proportion. Not an easy task, but a damn sight better than a slowly starving future.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kad1960

kad1960

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:00 PM

My link

My link

Some sobering statistics.
For myself i am undecided as to whether Malthusian limits to population growth have been reached,there are various factors involved which he had no knowledge about.
My view is that unless male dominated societies determine to give women the fundamental right and freedom to govern their own bodies any attempt,and many have already been initiated,will fail.
Demography will become the next political football with politicians wringing their hands in dismay or to afraid to engage in a controversial subject that,probably,will have racial undertones.
Migration is already a 'hot-topic',"illegals" or "asylum" seekers are already in the public's sights with some sections of the media more than willing to stoke public discontent and fear of a flood of immigrants of biblical proportions.
As western populations grow older and with birth rates falling an equitable and sustainable policy needs to be debated in public,whatever the fevered concerns of some may be,that can engender a positive solution for the future.
At present i am reading this,
My link
one review
My link
An interesting and timely topic.

#3 georgehenry

georgehenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:25 AM

One thing that gives me the shivers, is the remarks made by several Muslim imams, is that they will breed their way to world domination.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

Any Volunteers?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 23 June 2011 - 11:53 PM

The world is way too complex to be able to pinpoint a single issue. I fail to see how too many people is at the root of all problems facing humanity. Maybe you could elaborate on which problems would not exist if we had less of a population.

#6 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:27 AM

I honestly don't think that the Population in the World is the Problem, more like the Attitude of Some of the People in the World would be closer to the Problem.

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#7 JohnCe

JohnCe

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:40 AM

Georgehenry, the world produces enough food to feed everyone in it. The inability and corruption of the leaders to evenly distribute it is the reason people die of starvation.
Regards JohnCe.

#8 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:22 AM

I certainly agree there.

Ray
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#9 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:44 AM

The main problem for Africa, in my opinion, is the attitude of the African leaders. The countries that aren't developing all have corruption from top to bottom, and because the President is as corrupt as the policeman on the street no-one does a thing about it. There's plenty of aid coming in, but little is actually used to effect a change. For example while I was living in Mozambique the US was planning to give that country a very substantial sum of money for their health care service. As part of the package they wanted to send 40 health care professionals to bring both training and oversight for the funds. The Moz Government was quite happy to take the money, but adamantly refused to have the personnel. As far as I know the entire thing was called off; the USA understandably wouldn't send money if the people tasked to ensure that money wasn't spent on a new villa for the Minister of Health weren't allowed in.

As to population change, it's worth noting that it isn't homogenous. In most European countries the population is either growing slowly or actually shrinking (such as in Italy). Meanwhile in many African nations and other LEDCs it's simply exploding.
The age break down is also something to be considered.
Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:01 PM

This topic reminds me of the phenomena of the THE GEORGIA GUIDESTONES

It's an occult artifact but in part recommends a world population of 500 million which will require the extermination of nine-tenths of the world's people.
I do not subscribe but posted in interest of the thread.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#11 kad1960

kad1960

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:17 PM

Unfortunately corruption like any other crime can never be eradicated.Question..can it be managed.??
Africa,i would suggest,has gained more in trade than in aid since independence but it has squandered that bounty on personal and tribal
concerns as well as personal vanity projects which have no impact on the population other than to generate starvation.
Unequal trade may play a part in the lack of development as well as economical-political considerations due to geo-political concerns (Cold War)
but ultimately it is a lack of serious moral fibre from their leadership which is the problem.
Africa has the potential to become a seriously wealthy continent that most everyone can partake of,aid is an admission of 'their' failure as much as it is
an admission of "guilt" (?) from the west.

#12 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

Funny enough two Countries really stand out in a very Positive way for overcoming Population Problems and instead have used their numbers to get ahead.

I am talking about China and India.

Ray.

What is a Dog?

#13 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

Might you not say that the sheer scale of income inequality in both of those countries undermines that point somewhat?

Edited by JosiahK, 29 June 2011 - 10:48 AM.

Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

#14 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:19 AM

quote name='georgehenry'-
"Practically all my life, I have believed, that the main problem with the human race is that there are too many of us."

Well, there may be too many of you,

but there aren't too many of us.

:crazy:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#15 wiczjr

wiczjr

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:33 PM

Ah, the overpopulation myth/propaganda strikes again. Can't you fit the whole world's population into a place like Texas or something like that?
Both faith and fear may sail into your harbour, but only allow faith to drop anchor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users