Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Defragmenter Fails To Complete

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gil58

gil58

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:48 AM

Hi;

I'm a newby when it comes to computers but just can't afford to keep paying others to be bail me out. I have a recurring problem with never being able to defragment my computer. The windows defragmenter just never gets around to finishing. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:55 AM

How much free space is there on your drive?

And exactly what happens when you try to defrag - are there any error messages?

#3 Bill R TechSpec

Bill R TechSpec

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:35 PM

Hi;

I'm a newby when it comes to computers but just can't afford to keep paying others to be bail me out. I have a recurring problem with never being able to defragment my computer. The windows defragmenter just never gets around to finishing. Any suggestions?

It could be that your disk is either too full (you need at least 15% free space, 20% or more ideally) or the disk is very large, requiring a lot of time to complete. Or maybe there is just a lot to defragment.

Keep in mind that the built-in is meant for casual use (kind of like Word Pad or Paint -- very handy for writing and touching up a picture, but a writer would not use Word Pad to make a living and a graphic artist would certainly not rely on Paint for his work).

The built-in was never meant to handle large disks or large amounts of fragmentation build-up -- it has its limitations.

You may want to consider a good third party defrag solution that can operate transparently in the background and can handle large disks with low available space.

Good luck!

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:02 AM

Keep in mind that the built-in is meant for casual use (kind of like Word Pad or Paint -- very handy for writing and touching up a picture, but a writer would not use Word Pad to make a living and a graphic artist would certainly not rely on Paint for his work).

The built-in was never meant to handle large disks or large amounts of fragmentation build-up -- it has its limitations.

Where did you hear that? Your statement doesn't make any sense at all. Neither the size of the drive nor the state of fragmentation is a factor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users