Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are some possible uses for a second hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sjvirchow

sjvirchow

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:04 PM

A family relative gave me his old Dell computer that had a 500GB SATA hard drive inside. I ripped it out, and threw it into my computer just for giggles. Now that it's in, I can't think of anything to do with it. It's completely empty, as I D-Ban'd it once I installed it. I've got a 320GB for my OS in right now, which is about about 25% used.
Hardware: The parts of a computer that can be kicked.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:30 PM

I have had two drives in my machine for several years now. I put all the kids saved games on the second drive, which is where they stored their mods, music and a multitude of other things that can include malicious items. It was less of a risk for the main drive.

When they got their own machines, I cleaned it out and installed Win 7 on the second drive, allowing for a dual boot system. I don't recommend that unless you take a good deal of enjoyment updating two operating systems instead of just one. Lately it has been steady back and forth, and some antivirus programs object to being used on both drives.

The best use of a secondary drive is for storing images of the main and most important drive. There are several free imaging programs, that will back up the entire C drive in case of a major problem. Plug in a recovery boot disc and you can be back to work in an hour or less.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:41 PM

Some possible uses:

A: dual booting (using two OSes, such as linux and windows 7)

B: backups

C: Saving all your files to it, so if you have to reinstall your OS you dont need to back everything uo

D: RAID. I love RAID setups myself, been playing with it a lot lately.

E: Bragging rights. Always cool to have one more hard drive then your buddy. lol jk.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:44 PM

Another use for a second hard drive is storing a back-up hard drive image on it in case your original hard drive was to crap out on you. :thumbup2:

Windows 7 has an automatic back up feature, using back up disks as medium storage can be time consuming and consumes a lot of disks, but using a secondary hard drive the same size of larger works out quite well as a back up drive.

You did not mention what your operating system is, but if it is Windows 7 you can set it up as I mentioned earlier.

For other OSes, you can do manual backups just the same.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users